A life-jacket is a Personal Flotation Devices (PFD's) and is a statutory requirement for pleasure craft in Ireland. There must be suitable PFDs for everyone on board any pleasure craft and must be worn in the following situations:
1. By anyone on board an open craft that is under 7 meters in length;
2. By anyone on deck on a craft that is under 7 meters length;
3. By anyone under the age of 16 on board an open craft or on deck of any other type of craft;
4. By anyone being towed in another craft or on any other device (skis, donuts etc.);
5. By anyone on a personal watercraft (jet ski).
Exceptions are when:
· Tied up alongside or made fast to an anchor, marina, pier or mooring;
· Immediately prior to, during and after swimming from a craft that is not moving through the water;
· Putting on, wearing or taking off diving equipment on a craft that is not moving through the water.