Displaying items by tag: Handling
#HowToSail - A new series of short yachting courses at the Irish National Sailing & Powerboat School (INSS) begins with a one-day course on various techniques for mooring and handling a yacht under power.
This day-long course (9.30am-5pm) will run three times over the summer, with the first on Sunday 7 May, and covers the following topics:
- Basic engine checks
- Throttle and gear controls
- Rudder, propellers, propwalk and pivot points
- Going ahead and astern
- Use of wind and stream to aid manoeuvres
- Manoeuvring in confined spaces
- Moving to and from a marina berth under power
- Use of springs and other berthing techniques
The €99 course is recommended for any sailors heading abroad over the summer months who want to brush up on moving about tighter spaces, or those thinking about doing an ICC assessment.