Displaying items by tag: redevelopment
According to EchoLive questions regarding plans for the long-awaited redevelopment of Marino Point, the former Irish Fertiliser Industries (IFI) site, near Cobh, will be taken by Port of Cork staff at two events in September.
Two public information evenings are due to take place regarding the Belvelly Port Facility masterplan on September 4 at Belvelly Port Facility office at Marino Point and Thursday, September 5, at Passage West GAA club, both between 4pm and 8pm.
The Marino Point jetty is located in 10m of water, enabling large ships to dock there and a number of companies are set to be located in the 114-acre site.
Port activities will likely be focused on oil, agri-feed, and fertiliser traffic.
The site was previously owned by IFI and UK-based Chemical Industries and closed in 2002 with the loss of over 200 jobs.
For more including comments from a local councillor, click here.
At the Planning Strategic Policy Committee (SPC), officials outlined the proposed development that would see more than 10,000 people living and working in Tivoli.
The Port of Cork is set to vacate the site in the next two years, and plans to create an urban area the size of Blackrock are being prepared.
According to City Hall, Government funding under the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund (LIHAF) to develop the area has been secured.
While Cork City Council does not own the land itself, it is supportive of projects to enhance the city.
More on this story can be read from this link.
#DUN LAOGHAIRE NEWS - Dun Laoghaire's historic Victorian sea baths are to be replaced with a small 'urban beach' under rejuvenation plans for the harbour, the Irish Independent reports.
County councillors for Dun Laoghaire Rathdown voted on Tuesday to green light the construction of a new sea baths facility, part of the 'master plan' development proposed by the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company that has raised the ire of the harbour's yacht clubs.
The decision is the latest in a long series of ambitious plans for the Victorian baths, which recently received a new coat of paint as part of the Dulux Let's Colour Project but have lain derelict for 15 years.
Under the new plan, all but two of the buildings on the baths site, which was built in 1843, will be demolished to make way for a new jetty and changing area, which is set to include an 'urban beach' in the future.
Only the baths pavillion and a small outbuilding will be retained for an artist's studio, a gallery and café.
The Irish Independent has more on the story HERE.
#GALWAY HARBOUR - Galway Harbour management are looking forward to the prospect of Chinese investment in the port's redevelopment plans, the Galway Independent reports.
“Chinese investors clearly recognise not only the massive potential of ocean tourism, but also the specific potential for Galway as a destination port for cruise liners," said Fine Gael TD Brian Walsh, referring to discussions between the Government and Chinese officials in Beijing last week.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, Galway Bay can expect to welcome at least nine cruise visits thus year, with the first scheduled to arrive late next month.
Walsh added: "Galway is an incredibly attractive city, and if we can make it accessible to the major players in the cruise-line market, the impact on the local economy would be immense.”
Galway Harbour Company CEO Eamon Bradshaw said that the port project had "illicited quite a bit of interest" when the company presented at the recent Chinese-Ireland Relations conference at NUI Galway.
"We’re confident that we do have a lot to offer and we are confident that an investor will come on board."
The Galway Independent has more on the story HERE.
World tourism bosses and cruise line operators will be headed to Galway next month for high-powered talks aimed at transforming the city into a global destination port.
The Connacht Sentinel reports that execuives from Fáilte Ireland, the Galway Harbour Company and Galway Chamber of Commerce will meet a delegation that will include Jamaica's head of tourism and some of the world's largest cruise line operators to discuss attracting business to the redeveloped port.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, the proposed €200 million redevelopment of Galway Harbour - which will increase berthing space to accommodate cruise ships - has received approval to submit a planning application to An Bord Pleanála.
Galway West Deputy Brian Walsh, who helped push forward the development plan and will also meet the delegation at the end of September, said that the Galway Harbour Company has set a target of 50 cruise ships a year - which could bring in an extra €40 million annually to the local economy.
The Connacht Sentinel has more on the story HERE.
As reported previously on Afloat.ie, the Galway Harbour Company's €200 million scheme involves moving the port south onto 24 hectares of reclaimed land in deeper water to accommodate cruise liners, as well as a proposed rail link and marina expansion.
Following the public consultation earlier this year and subsequent discussions with An Bord Pleanála, the scheme has been deemed a 'strategic infrastructure development' and a planning application under this designation is expected to be lodged this month.