Menu

Ireland's sailing, boating & maritime magazine

Displaying items by tag: Dublin Port

The Lord Mayor of Dublin Daithí de Róiste performed the ‘Casting of the Spear’ into Dublin Bay, upholding a 535-year tradition. The Casting marks the launch of the 36th South Docks Festival, which runs this week for a full five days for the first time since 2019.

Hosted by Dublin Port Company and the staff and volunteers of St. Andrew’s Resource Centre, the South Docks Festival offers the communities of the Docklands a chance to celebrate their heritage. One particular aspect of this heritage, the ‘Casting of the Spear’, today saw Dublin Lord Mayor Daithí de Róiste imbued with the title of Honorary Admiral of Dublin Port.

The tradition dates back to 1488, when then Lord Mayor of Dublin Thomas Mayler braced the elements to mark the boundaries of Dublin to the East by vaulting a spear into the sea. As each successive Lord Mayor casts a spear of their own, the tradition reinforces the idea that the city and the Port are at once constantly evolving and inextricably tied to a rich heritage to which all members of Dublin’s diverse community can lay claim. The South Docks Festival aims to highlight this shared heritage, with the theme of this year’s festival being ‘Friendship and Inclusion’.

Over the five days, the public can engage in activities for all ages, from TikTok workshops, tours of the Docklands and Dublin Port, and a short film exhibition exploring life in the Docklands through the pandemic. The festival will close on Friday with a parade leaving St. Andrew’s at 12:30 pm and proceeding through the Docklands, after which Pearse Square will be transformed into a fairground with picnic areas, an inflatable slide and obstacle course and live performances from DJs and children’s entertainers.

Dublin Port CEO Barry O’Connell commented: “I want to thank Lord Mayor de Róiste for helping to continue this great tradition and for his support of Dublin Port. I am happy to bring this ceremony back to the South Docks Festival, which allows the communities of the Docklands to come together and celebrate a distinct cultural heritage. Our mission at Dublin Port over the coming years is to strengthen ties between the Port and the city, by allowing the public access through a range of pedestrian pathways, cycle routes and arts spaces. We hope to bring communities together, in keeping with the tradition of this great festival.”

The Lord Mayor of Dublin and Honorary Admiral of Dublin Port, Cllr. Daithí de Róiste pictured performing the ‘Casting of the Spear’ in Dublin Bay with Dublin Port CEO Barry O’Connell. The tradition dates back to 1488 when the city’s boundaries were marked eastwards. Photo: Robbie ReynoldsThe Lord Mayor of Dublin and Honorary Admiral of Dublin Port, Cllr. Daithí de Róiste pictured performing the ‘Casting of the Spear’ in Dublin Bay with Dublin Port CEO Barry O’Connell. The tradition dates back to 1488 when the city’s boundaries were marked eastwards. Photo: Robbie Reynolds

Lord Mayor of Dublin Daithí de Róiste said: "As Honorary Admiral of Dublin Port, I offer my thanks to Dublin Port Company for the lovely ceremony and for their support of the South Docks Festival, which remains a special highlight of the summer calendar. Such an inclusive and welcoming festival is of great benefit to the public.”

Dermot McCarthy, Chair of the St. Andrew’s Resource Centre, said: “Our staff and volunteers greatly appreciate the contribution of Dublin Port Company to this year’s festival, which makes its full return following disruptions from the pandemic. We hope the community take the chance to see everything on the week’s schedule, which offers something for everyone.”

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

Dublin Port Company has issued noticed to mariners of navigational changes for the Volvo Dun Laoghaire Regatta which begins on Thursday (6 July).

To ensure the safety of all concerned and to facilitate the management of such a large sailing event, the South Burford Traffic Separation Scheme will be closed to all commercial traffic on Thursday 6 July between noon and 6.30pm, and Friday 7, Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 July between 10am and 6.30pm.

Vessels arriving or departing Dublin Bay, including to/from the anchorage, during these times must use the North Burford Traffic Separation Scheme.

In addition, the port company has also issued a notice regarding the five temporary yacht markings that will be deployed in Dublin Bay for the duration of the regatta.

Published in Volvo Regatta

Dublin Port Company is recruiting for the role of energy and decarbonisation lead.

The State-owned commercial port says it “aims to play a strong role in achieving its own energy and decarbonisation goals, as well as supporting and influencing wider Dublin Port stakeholders in meeting their own energy reduction and decarbonisation ambitions”.

Dublin Port has 15,000 annual vessel movements, handles almost half of the Republic of Ireland’s trade, is the largest freight and passenger port in Ireland and is one of five major ports classified as Tier 1/Tier 2 ports in the National Ports Policy.

The energy and decarbonisation lead will head the development, implementation and delivery of plans to ensure that Dublin Port Company meets its energy and decarbonisation goals and commitments.

As the company provides critical national port infrastructure, the role will require a close working relationship with its stakeholders to ensure it understands their decarbonisation needs, in order to best support them in meeting their energy and decarbonisation goals.

The role will require leading the energy and decarbonisation team, especially working closely with the port’s technical manager, property and facilities manager and assistant harbour master, who are all key members of that team.

Key responsibilities also include work within energy and decarbonisation management, the NewERA Climate Action Framework for the Commercial Semi-State Sector, Dublin Port Energy & Decarbonisation Community, infrastructure and more.

Must-have requirements include a FETAC Level 8 undergraduate degree qualification in energy, environment, sustainability or an engineering discipline; a minimum of five years’ industry experience and ability to demonstrate competent knowledge in the fields of energy or sustainability; and management system experience (eg ISO 9001/14001/50001).

Those interested can find further information and apply for the position via LinkedIn HERE.

Published in Jobs

Engineers, historians, retired dockers and port workers gathered at Dublin Port for the launch of a new book last evening called “Dublin Port Chief Engineers”, published by Dublin Port Company and written by Dr Ronald Cox, Engineering Historian and Visiting Research Fellow in the Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering at Trinity College Dublin.

“Dublin Port Engineers” navigates the story of two of Dublin Port’s most pioneering port engineers in recent decades, Bindon Blood Stoney (1828-1909) and John Purser Griffith (1848-1938). This beautifully presented publication is the culmination of detailed research undertaken by Dr Cox over many years into the lives and illustrious work of both engineers and draws on a trove of maps, images, and information held in Dublin Port’s 300-year-old archive to tell their story.

Dublin Port Chairman Jerry Grant speaks at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port CentreDublin Port Chairman Jerry Grant speaks at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre

Bindon Blood Stoney was Dublin Port Engineer from 1862 to 1899, and the modern city of Dublin along the River Liffey reflects his engineering prowess in the bridges and quay walls he built using his wonderful Diving Bell, better known today as Dublin’s smallest museum on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay.

Dr Ronald Cox speaking at the launch of his book “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port CentreDr Ronald Cox speaking at the launch of his book “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre

When John Purser Griffith, who served as Bindon Blood Stoney’s assistant for 27 years before becoming his successor as Chief Port Engineer, took over he would go on to champion the city and the port, still a key strategic objective of the modern Dublin Port Company today.

From 1899 to 1909, John Purser Griffith helped to modernise Dublin Port, reconstructing the North and South quays, electrifying the cranes with the port’s own power station and reorganising dredging operations with a new modern suction dredger, The Sandpiper.

Dublin Port Heritage Director Lar Joye (left), Dr Ronald Cox (centre) and Dublin Port Chairman Jerry Grant (right) at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre on Monday, June 26, 2023. “Dublin Port Engineers” navigates the story of two of Dublin Port’s most pioneering port engineers in recent decades, Bindon Blood Stoney (1828-1909) and John Purser Griffith (1848-1938).Dublin Port Heritage Director Lar Joye (left), Dr Ronald Cox (centre) and Dublin Port Chairman Jerry Grant (right) at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre on Monday, June 26, 2023. “Dublin Port Engineers” navigates the story of two of Dublin Port’s most pioneering port engineers in recent decades, Bindon Blood Stoney (1828-1909) and John Purser Griffith (1848-1938)

Lar Joye, Port Heritage Director, Dublin Port Company, said:  “Our thanks and credit to Dr Ronald Cox whose meticulous research has resulted in such a wonderful addition to public understanding of Dublin Port and the City of Dublin. It’s amazing to think that in 1990, Dr Cox was commissioned by the then Dublin Port & Docks Board to compile a biographical sketch of Bindon Blood Stoney as one of the most illustrious engineers ever associated with Dublin Port’s history. Today, some 30 years later, we are continuing to learn about their transformative work, and we are privileged to have helped bring Dr Cox’s work to life with the addition of previously unseen photographs from the Dublin Port Archive. That in itself feels like history in the making.

The book “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” was launched at Dublin Port CentreThe book “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” was launched at Dublin Port Centre

“I wish to pay tribute to the late Gerald Daly (1928-1998), then Honorary Archivist to the Dublin Port & Docks Board. At that time, access to the letters and other archival material in the Board’s possession was undoubtedly made all the easier due to Gerry’s tireless efforts to secure such information, and I think it’s fair to say that no query went unanswered for long.
“I also want to mention the late Niall Dardis. When Gerry was retiring, he couldn’t think of anyone better suited to the stewardship of the Dublin Port archive than Niall, who was a former draughtsman before retiring in 1992. When Gerry approached Niall, he couldn’t say no and took on the role of Honorary Archivist with great enthusiasm and skill.”

Dr Ronald Cox (centre) with his wife Rosaleen and family Lisa and Jana at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre on Monday, June 26, 2023. “Dublin Port Engineers” navigates the story of two of Dublin Port’s most pioneering port engineers in recent decades, Bindon Blood Stoney (1828-1909) and John Purser Griffith (1848-1938).Dr Ronald Cox (centre) with his wife Rosaleen and family Lisa and Jana at the launch of “Dublin Port Chief Engineers” at Dublin Port Centre 

Dr Cox is a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland, a Fellow of the Irish Academy of Engineering, and a Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Recent books include Ireland’s Bridges (2003), Engineering Ireland (2006), Ireland’s Civil Engineering Heritage (2013), Called to Serve (2013) and Called to Serve Two (2019).

“Dublin Port Chief Engineers” is available to purchase from Wordwell Books here.

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

Dublin Port Company, today, 3rd May 2023, announced details of its Art and Engagement programme 22/23 at the Pumphouse, Alexandra Road.

The Pumphouse formerly housed the steam engine which powered the gates of Graving Dock 1 but has been repurposed by Dublin Port into an artistic and cultural venue and is a key part of the Heritage Zone at Dublin Port.

The theme for this year’s Dublin Port Art and Engagement programme is ‘Connections: The Port, the City, Arts and Education’. Dublin Port’s plans for the Heritage Zone at the Pumphouse include expanding its use for public exhibitions, events and performances creating a distinct and unique destination in the heart of the working port as part of port-city integration plans up to 2040.

Pictured was a short piece from “Back home to a wonderful time” by ANU productions at The Pumphouse located on Alexandra Rd, Dublin Port as part of Dublin Port Art and Engagement programme 2023 announcement. The theme for this year’s Dublin Port Art and Engagement programme is ‘Connections: The Port, the City, Arts and Education’. DPictured is a short piece from “Back home to a wonderful time” by ANU productions at The Pumphouse located on Alexandra Rd, Dublin Port as part of Dublin Port Art and Engagement programme 2023 announcement. The theme for this year’s Dublin Port Art and Engagement programme is ‘Connections: The Port, the City, Arts and Education’ Photo: Conor McCabe

The Art and Engagement programme has been underway since mid-2022. It includes completed art and design outputs, such as large-scale projections incorporating live and still imagery as well as workshops led by experienced artists with pupils from St. Laurence O’Toole Primary School and second-level art students from Ringsend College.

Under a comprehensive programme of future work established artists and students, will participate in short residencies, and performances, including theatre and music - designed and customised for the Pumphouse context. These have been developed in partnership with theatre companies, ANU and Fishamble, as well as with Students from the National College of Art & Design (NCAD), UCD’s School of Architecture, the Design and Material Culture Course at NCAD as well the Sean O’Casey Community Centre’s Art Group and teenage members of the East Wall Youth Centre.

Julie Crowe and Matthew Williamson performing a short piece from “Back home to a wonderful time” by ANU productions at The Pumphouse located on Alexandra Rd, Dublin Port Julie Crowe and Matthew Williamson performing a short piece from “Back home to a wonderful time” by ANU productions at The Pumphouse located on Alexandra Rd, Dublin Port

Highlights of the current programme include:

Artworks by Transition Students from Ringsend College and ‘Works in Progress’ Prints and Photographs by 5th Year Students (April 2023). A study group of Transition Year students from Ringsend College are engaged in a new round of workshops with artist Janine Davidson using a range of art media to explore Port - City themes.

‘Mappings of East Wall’, by the Sean O’Casey Community Centre Art Group and artist, Silvia Leoffler (May 2023). These small scale and intimate mappings by members of the Sean O’Casey Centre’s mature art group amount to a creative portrait of the streets, homes and people who constitute the local neighbourhood of East Wall.

NCAD STUDIO+ Programme (May 2023). The Pumphouse is being regularly used as a situated studio space as part of the National College of Art & Design’s STUDIO + programme during which a series of micro-residencies for specific student groups take place.

Temporary Pleasure (Summer 2023) a large-scale architectural installation and event space in the Pumphouse Plaza, to offer new perspectives and appreciations of the work and life of Dublin Port.

States of Independence’ by Smashing Times, International Centre for Arts and Equality (October 2023). Celebrating the stories of ten changemakers from the Decade of Centenaries, and stories of ten changemakers today, told through performances, visual arts, creative billboards and online exhibitions.

The Pumphouse has been developing dynamic theatre and music projects for several years. Previous works at The Pumphouse included ‘Hidden Pianos’ (2018) developed by Artistic Director Máire Carroll with the aim of sharing classical and contemporary music in site-specific locations, ‘The Pumphouse Presents’ (2020), a Winter Festival of Plays commissioned by Dublin Port Company featuring work from Axis Ballymun, ANU productions and Fishamble: The New Play Company, and ‘The Book of Names’ (2021), a hugely ambitious co-production by ANU Productions and Landmark, that plots a singular path through one of the most secretive, contentious, and turbulent times in Irish history.

Barry O’Connell, CEO Dublin Port said, “The use of the Pumphouse is part of Dublin Port’s long-term strategy of connecting Port and City. The ‘Connections’ event reflects the ongoing Port/City Integration process and will see other large-scale heritage and arts projects being developed as areas of the Port are opened for public use. We are excited about this development in the overall context of port development and are committed to ensuring that the Port develops as a thriving community resource.”

Edel Currie, Community Engagement Manager for Dublin Port added, “It has been very positive, over the last few years, to see the theatre and music events, creative residencies and learning workshops develop at the Pumphouse. The engagement with the local schools and Colleges on these artistic works has been enormously positive. The wider appeal of these projects demonstrates the potential for the Pumphouse as a heritage zone in the city Centre. We look forward to the visual arts and performing arts events scheduled over the summer months and into the Autumn of 2023.”

Declan McGonagle, curator of the Pumphouse programme, said, “The Pumphouse is a distinct and unique setting where creative practice meets public experience in the context of a working Port and communities of place interact with communities of interest from further afield. The visualisations and signage tell the story of the Pumphouse its transformation and contempoary use. These visualisations of past and present activities are presented within the Pumphouse, using large scale, immersive projected imagery, a large scale white screen projection and monitors, along with photo-enlarged panels of workshops, participants and artworks. The works have been produced by different participating groups and include interviews with relevant Port staff, artists and academia, workshop members and past Port workers.”

At the Pumphouse Plaza, ANU productions will perform a short piece from “Back home to a wonderful time” on about the last troop ship leaving Berth 18 in December of 1922 starring Julie Crowe (The Stewart Of Christendom, The Gate, 2022), Peter Rothweil (Staging the Treaty, ANU Productions, 2022) and Matthew Williamson (The Book of Names, ANU and Landmark Productions, 2021).

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

The Lord Mayor of Dublin Caroline Conroy, today performed the annual ‘Casting of the Spear’ into Dublin Bay, one the most important symbolic occasions on the Dublin Port calendar. In the process, she confirmed her title as Honorary Admiral of Dublin Port, upholding the memory of a 535-year-old tale.

In 1488, Lord Mayor of Dublin Thomas Mayler rode on horseback out to the city’s boundaries, facing bitter rain and fierce winds. Braving these elements, Lord Mayor Mayler brandished a spear, which he vaulted out into the sea as he went. Each casting of his spear marked a point on Dublin’s eastward boundary, the distance of which into the Irish Sea was determined by the Lord Mayor’s aim and strength.

More than half a millennium later, the face of Dublin Port has changed considerably. Today, it carries nearly two-thirds of all port traffic on the island of Ireland. Beneath all this activity lie the marks of Thomas Mayler cast out when Ireland’s trading relationship with the rest of the world was still in relative infancy.

To commemorate this event, Lord Mayor of Dublin Caroline Conroy cast a spear of her own into Dublin Bay, her first official act as Honorary Admiral of the Port. Modern times have seen successive Lord Mayors take to the water at Dublin Port to earn their honorary title, which they retain for their period in office.

“It is my great pleasure to be confirmed as Honorary Admiral of the Port of Dublin,” Lord Mayor of Dublin Caroline Conroy said, “This ritual has fascinated me for several years. A connection to these colourful aspects of our past remains of great cultural value to all Dubliners. Dublin Port remains ever more vital to our commercial and cultural life in the city and beyond, and I wish it every success in its Masterplan projects over the coming years.”

Dublin Port CEO Barry O’Connell commented at the ceremony: “I would like to thank Lord Mayor Conroy for her participation in this ceremony and for her continued support of Dublin Port. This is a tradition I’m very proud to continue, one which emphasises the strong links between port and city and the importance of history and culture to our local community. It’s astounding to think, with all our advancements in engineering today, that the original boundary of the city was set by one person casting a spear into the sea. We’re currently in the process of developing a range of paths for cyclists and pedestrians running 5.5km across the Poolbeg Peninsula and 16km across the north side of the Liffey. These should allow Dubliners to look out over the full scope of this boundary set by a previous Lord Mayor over 500 years ago.”

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

Dublin Port Company (DPC) has announced that P&O Ferries and Seatruck will move locations within Dublin Port from January 23rd 2023.

The move will see P&O Ferries relocate from existing Terminal 3 (East Wall Road) to Terminal 5 (T5), at the eastern end of the port, replacing Seatruck. Seatruck will relocate its operations from Terminal 5 to a new Terminal 4 (T4), at the western end of the port. The new T4 will be accessed via a new check-in facility on Tolka Quay Road.

This change sees the former Terminal 3 entrance along East Wall Road (opposite the 3Arena) close to HGVs from January 23rd. All HGV traffic for Seatruck (T4) will access the port via Promenade Road, then onto T4 via Tolka Quay Road, and cross over the new Alexandra Road Bridge (the Red Bridge).

All traffic to P&O Ferries (T5) will enter the port via Promenade Road and travel east on New Promenade Road before turning right on to Terminal Road and then left on Alexandra Road Extension. P&O Car Ferry traffic will access T5 via Terminal Road South. 

P&O Ferries is moving to Terminal 5P&O Ferries is moving to Terminal 5

To help all port users with the changeover, temporary digital signage will be in place along key routes within the port estate to direct drivers. The team from DPC will also be on the ground to assist drivers over the coming weeks.

The relocation of P&O Ferries and Seatruck facilitates ongoing development works associated with the Alexander Basin Redevelopment (ABR) Project, and the commencement of works on the MP2 Project; two major strategic infrastructure development projects consented and underway to increase port capacity as planned in DPC Masterplan 2040.

Seatruck is moving to Terminal 4Seatruck is moving to Terminal 4

DPC acknowledges the ongoing support of both P&O Ferries and Seatruck in preparation for the move on January 23rd and is committed to working with both terminal operators to ensure a smooth transition for their customers and all port users.

P&O Ferries and Seatruck will be advising customers of their final sailing times from their original locations, and the first sailing times from their new locations in due course.

Port users can continue to keep up to date on all road and traffic developments at Dublin Port via Twitter. This includes recent changes to the speed limits throughout the north port estate road network which limit speeds to 40Km/h in the port estate and 20Km/h within the terminals as part of Dublin SafePort.

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

Dublin Port Company (DPC) is celebrating 21 years of its Scholarship Programme. In this anniversary year, 24 new recipients from the port’s local communities have been awarded scholarships for 2022.

The Dublin Port Scholarship Programme is the longest-running education bursary of its kind in the city’s Docklands area. It was set up by Dublin Port Company (DPC) in 2001 to contribute to the community by providing financial support for people to fulfil their potential through education.

Since 2001, the programme has awarded more than €1.2 million to applicants living in the port area, enabling them to progress to third-level education.

With 24 new bursaries granted for 2022, Dublin Port Company has now awarded scholarships to more than 1,250 local recipients, including school leavers and mature learners.

Dublin Port Scholarship 21st Anniversary - Sibheal Toner, Former Scholarship Recipient, Mary Lou McDonald, TD, Ben Greene, Scholarship Recipient. Photo: Shane O'NeillDublin Port Scholarship 21st Anniversary - Sibheal Toner, Former Scholarship Recipient, Mary Lou McDonald, TD, Ben Greene, Scholarship Recipient. Photo: Shane O'Neill

Recipients who might not otherwise have pursued higher education owing to financial difficulty in undertaking further study have since gone on to complete a range of third level courses, including Business Studies, Law, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Chemistry, Architecture, Music, and Sociology. Many of the scholars have completed their studies at leading Irish universities, including Trinity College, UCD and DCU, as well as at colleges in England and Wales.

Applicants to the Scholarship Programme are assessed by an independent panel based on several criteria, including candidates’ motivation and commitment, and not solely on academic achievement.

Milestone Celebration

The 21st anniversary was recognised at an event held in The Pumphouse in Dublin Port last evening. The occasion brought together scholarship recipients and alumni, and was attended by local community leaders, school and third-level representatives, as well as those working in youth outreach.

The occasion also marked the first time for a community event to be held at The Pumphouse. The Pumphouse heritage area in Dublin Port represents a continuation of Dublin Port Company’s Masterplan commitment to integrate with the city and the community, providing new civic amenities and space for a range of arts, cultural and educational programmes to be announced in the year ahead.

Michael Sheary, Acting Chief Executive, Dublin Port Company, said:

“Dublin Port’s Scholarship Programme has made a lasting and positive contribution to the port’s communities over the past 21 years. By giving people the added encouragement and means to reach their potential through education, each scholarship has not only opened up access to further study, but also the opportunities in life that follow. This is therefore not just a milestone year, but a celebration of the community that has made the Scholarship Programme such an enduring success. I am confident that this year’s recipients will flourish in their chosen paths in the years ahead.”

 Cecile Ndeley, Scholarship Recipient, and Edel Currie, Community Engagement Manager, Dublin Port. Photo: Shane O'Neill Cecile Ndeley, Scholarship Recipient, and Edel Currie, Community Engagement Manager, Dublin Port. Photo: Shane O'Neill

Edel Currie, Community Engagement Manager, Dublin Port Company, said:

“We have seen first-hand how the Scholarship Programme has opened both doors and minds to educational opportunities that might otherwise have remained shut. It’s hugely rewarding when we learn of the success stories that stem from this small, but important springboard that started with a decision by Dublin Port Company to give back to the community 21 years ago. Today, it is the individual scholarship recipients who give back to their community. By bringing home their experiences and success, they are inspiring a new generation to realise their ambition through further learning.”

DPC’s Longstanding Support for Education in the Community

At the event, attendees also learned more about Dublin Port Company’s longstanding support for education and lifelong learning in the port community ‘from cradle to grave’. This includes the Early Learning Initiative for pre-school children from the inner city at the National College of Ireland, educational materials and tech supports for local primary schools, an art engagement programme for secondary students at Ringsend College, homework club and grinds for English, Irish and Maths in East Wall, Drawing Clubs for both senior citizens and school-going children in Ringsend and East Wall, and a Maritime Skills Training Course and Construction and Retrofitting Skills Training course for people from the port, including the long-term unemployed.

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under

When the multi-talented John B Kearney (1879-1967) retired from a distinguished career in Dublin Port in 1944, he re-focused most of his attention on his parallel interest as a yacht designer and builder. It was an enduring passion that went right back to his first own-designed sailing boat, which he’d built in his father’s boatyard in Ringsend in 1897. Yet by the time of his retirement, he was living in Monkstown on the south shore of Dublin Bay, where one of the rooms in his house was re-purposed to be his design office. And above its door, he affixed a small but conspicuous brass plate, inscribed on which it clearly said: “God Chooses Our Relatives. Thank God We Can Choose Our Friends”.

For as Cormac Lowth so clearly reveals in his recent very comprehensive and copiously-illustrated book Ringsend Sailing Trawlers – published by Hal Sisk’s Peggy Bawn Press, with the support of Dublin Port Company – not only was Ringsend for a hundred years and more a hotbed of trawler development and technological innovations in fishing, but its increasingly vigorous maritime community – enlivened by positive interaction between the established Dublin fishermen and the incoming Brixham fleet from Devon – was producing remarkable sea-minded families such as the Murphys, the Bissetts, the Scallans and the Kearneys.

The Dodder “waterfront” at the back of Ringsend’s Thorncastle Street in the 1920s as captured by Harry Kernoff RHA, when the boatyards of families like the Murphys and Kearneys were cheek-by-jowl with rowing cubs The Dodder “waterfront” at the back of Ringsend’s Thorncastle Street in the 1920s as captured by Harry Kernoff RHA, when the boatyards of families like the Murphys and Kearneys were cheek-by-jowl with rowing cubs 

The Kearneys in particular seemed to specialise in strong characters who might have been sent directly from Central Casting to become the Awkward Squad on both sides of the seaward city reaches of the River Liffey. Playwright Brendan Behan was a cousin. Another cousin, Peadar Kearney, was the propagandist and poet who wrote the National Anthem, “The Soldier’s Song”. And John B Kearney himself could be a prickly individual, for in 1923-25 when he and his brother Tom were beavering away together each evening after work at the day job to build one of John’s design masterpieces - the 39ft yawl Mavis - in a corner of Murphy’s Boatyard in Ringsend, they discovered one night that there was no sugar for their ritual 9.30 pm mug of strong tea. Neither would accept the blame. And thereafter each brought his own sugar. But the building of the Mavis was successfully completed without the two Kearney brothers exchanging a further single word.

Despite the expansion of the Ringsend fishing fleet in the late 1800s, their waterfront facilities remained very primitive, and they usually had to lie to moorings off what is now the location of PY&BC Marina. In a time of loosely-defined channels, it was not unknown for fishing boats moored like this to be run down at night by steamships.Despite the expansion of the Ringsend fishing fleet in the late 1800s, their waterfront facilities remained very primitive, and they usually had to lie to moorings off what is now the location of PY&BC Marina. In a time of loosely-defined channels, it was not unknown for fishing boats moored like this to be run down at night by steamships.

Another brother – Jem – was likewise a very talented shipwright, but he sought to build a miniature conglomerate of marine-related businesses, in which profitable night-time salmon fishing in the Liffey was regarded as a Kearney birth-right, regardless of what the regulatory authorities might think. Thus he was known in some circles as “Bad” Kearney, with stories of how he and his team were regularly apprehended in the dark at Islandbridge and Chapelizod - supposedly in search of a stolen net - becoming a staple of the District Court. So perhaps it wasn’t surprising that John B Kearney in retirement wanted to put some physical distance between himself and the many Kearneys and the other colourful clans who dominated community life on both sides of the Liffey.

YOU MAY TAKE THE MAN OUT OF RINGSEND, BUT…..

But while you may take the man out of Ringsend, you can never take Ringsend out of the man. And though the houses backing onto the Dodder waterfront in Thorncastle Street in Ringsend, where Kearneys and Murphys and others had first seen the light of day, were all to disappear in the redevelopments of the early 1950s, many of the families stayed on in the new houses and apartments, with the community remaining largely intact and quietly aware of its special maritime heritage. And as for John B Kearney, he remained so closely in contact with his birthplace that it was he who designed the last sailing yacht to be built in Ringsend, the 35ft Gannet for the Somerville-Large family in 1954.

 John B Kearney at work on his drawing board, aged 83 in 1962. Photo: Tom Hutson John B Kearney at work on his drawing board, aged 83 in 1962. Photo: Tom Hutson

By this time he’d a quiet but definite national reputation as a yacht designer of some international note, and was still happily beavering away at his chosen course in life at the age of 75, with many productive years of yacht design still ahead of him. This was despite having “retired” ten years earlier as Dublin Port’s Superintendent of Engineering.

THE “REAL” HARBOUR ENGINEER

He had started with the port authorities in 1886 as an apprentice shipwright in their highly-regarded boat-building workshop, before going on to fill many key roles in the port’s development. But the fact that he had no university degree meant that he could never be officially acknowledged as the Harbour Engineer. So the position of Superintendent of Engineering may well have been created specifically for him in order to acknowledge his enormous contribution to Dublin Port’s innovation and development.

Yet apart from his boatbuilding tradesman’s accreditations, he did have an official qualification of sorts. Ever since childhood, his core ambition had been to achieve recognition as a yacht designer, and while still very young he had taken and passed a correspondence course in yacht design, with a certificate – duly framed and displayed– to accompany it. This gave him an added perspective to the experience he gained by working in his family’s boatyard on the banks of the River Dodder where it flowed into the River Liffey in the heart of Dublin port.

He also worked while very young in Murphy’s Boatyard nearby on that crazy little waterfront where aspirational rowing clubs rubbed shoulders with make-do-and-mend boatyards out the back of the houses of Thorncastle Street, where John Kearney and many others had been born into a community where maritime awareness and seamanlike instincts were absorbed with your mother’s milk.

This meant that although John B Kearney’s growing selection of yacht designs gradually demonstrated his own signature style, the basis of the hull shapes were still rooted in the Brixham-Ringsend trawler types, vessels so seamanlike in concept and practical in rig that they could continue trawling in heavy weather when other types had long since headed for port.

 The “classic Kearney type” of the 1920s: his 39ft yawl Mavis – built in 1923-1925 and now restored in Maine - seen here winning Skerries Regatta 1928. Yet if specifically asked……… The “classic Kearney type” of the 1920s: his 39ft yawl Mavis – built in 1923-1925 and now restored in Maine - seen here winning Skerries Regatta 1928. Yet if specifically asked………

….John Kearney could create a yacht based directly on the Brixham-Ringsend trawler type, as seen here in the 1924-built Dolphin.….John Kearney could create a yacht based directly on the Brixham-Ringsend trawler type, as seen here in the 1924-built Dolphin.

So although he had already produced several yacht designs of an evolving “Kearney type” by 1924, when a Ringsend sailing enthusiast asked him that year to create a yacht of miniature trawler type, he produced the 28ft clinker-built Dolphin, which exactly fitted the bill.

And this linking of the hard-working seaworthy trawlers of Ringsend with the recreational sailing scene was reinforced by the Ringsend boats frequently using Dun Laoghaire as a harbour of refuge, while they also were keen competitors in regattas specially staged for them by what was then Kingstown Royal Harbour.

RINGSEND/BRIXHAM TRAWLER YACHT AND THE ASGARD GUN-RUNNING

One noted yachtsman who was particularly taken by the trawler type was the Dublin surgeon Sir Thomas Myles, who for several years owned the Chotah, a 48-ton 60ft cutter-rigged Brixham trawler type yacht built in Devon in 1891 by Dewdney. In 1913, Myles followed growing trawler practice by having Chotah fitted with an auxiliary engine – in this case a 4 cyl. Bergius Paraffin Motor made in Glasgow - and thus equipped, he was better suited, in the 1914 Erskine Childers-led gun-running, to transfer Conor O’Brien’s consignment of Mausers from O’Brien’s own engineless Kelpie to the Chotah, and then onwards to their planned landing place at Kilcoole on the Wicklow coast.

“The Sailing Surgeon and Gun-Runner”. Sir Thomas Myles’ 60ft Chotah was a trawler-style cutter-rigged cruising yacht built 1891, and fitted with an auxiliary engine in 1913. This helped significantly in her landing of the Mauser rifles in the 1914 gun-running at the beach in Kilcoole in County Wicklow“The Sailing Surgeon and Gun-Runner”. Sir Thomas Myles’ 60ft Chotah was a trawler-style cutter-rigged cruising yacht built 1891, and fitted with an auxiliary engine in 1913. This helped significantly in her landing of the Mauser rifles in the 1914 gun-running at the beach in Kilcoole in County Wicklow

RINGSEND’S PEAK BOAT-BUILDING YEARS

In his endlessly-fascinating book, Cormac Lowth reckons the peak period of trawler-building in Ringsend itself was from 1860 to 1880, even if the greatest of them all, the mighty St Patrick, was not built by the Murphy family in their yard for their own operation until 1887. But from 1860 to 1880, the pace-setter was Michael Scallan, who somehow found the time to be a master shipwright, trawler operator, active yachtsman, and publican with the ownership of the still-extent Ferryman Inn.

As Cormac drily observes, it was surprising how many of the Ringsend boatbuilders also ran busy taverns. We couldn’t possibly comment on that. But one of the joys of the new book is the insight it gives into the characters who were drawn to the commercial possibilities of the expanding Ringsend fishing industry. And for sheer exoticism, few could match John Robert Barklie, who seems to have been one of those Scotsmen who rose without trace and arrived in 19th Century Dublin as fully-fledged entepreneurs.

“He rose without trace and was identified by his bright spats”. John Barklie (right) was one of several businessmen who tried – with varying levels of success – to cash in on the Ringsend trawler boom. Photo: Courtesy Cormac Lowth“He rose without trace and was identified by his bright spats”. John Barklie (right) was one of several businessmen who tried – with varying levels of success – to cash in on the Ringsend trawler boom. Photo: Courtesy Cormac Lowth

Barklie’s primary notion was literally a dead cert. He quickly grasped that, in an era of high mortality even among the wealthiest and healthiest families, death and mourning made for big business. And nowhere was it bigger than in Dublin in the Victorian era, a time when rich yacht-owners ordered that all the varnished brightwork of their elegant craft be painted matt black for a period of three months when a member of the immediate family passed away.

“THE MOURNING WAREHOUSE”

At a more prosaic level, Barklie made mourning wholesale in Dublin. He either had a wicked sense of humour, or else had no sense of the absurd at all, as he was an undertaker whose most prominent outlet was “Barklie’s Family and General Mourning Warehouse”. Despite being called a warehouse, it was in a prime retail site at 99 Grafton Street in the heart of fashionable Dublin city, and claimed to be “Established for the Exclusive Sale of Every Article Suitable for Family Mourning”.

For those seeking some level of privacy and dignity, he also provided what would now be called a Funeral Home down past a few shop-fronts further along Grafton Street. But as he himself favoured day wear which featured spectacular spats, and hats which verged on the frivolous, the entire enterprise seemed to lack a certain solemnity and seriousness, and thus he may have turned to trawler ownership as an additional enterprise to give him more credibility in the commercial world, and maybe with it some access to the world of Dublin Bay yachting.

When “watching the yachting at Kingstown” was quite the done thing – John Barklie and his wife (left foreground) on a regatta day in Dun Laoghaire. In the days before cosmetic dentistry, very few smiled for the camera. Photo courtesy Cormac LowthWhen “watching the yachting at Kingstown” was quite the done thing – John Barklie and his wife (left foreground) on a regatta day in Dun Laoghaire. In the days before cosmetic dentistry, very few smiled for the camera. Photo courtesy Cormac Lowth

But the only photo we have of John Robert Barklie in anything approaching a yachting setting is of himself in that unmistakable hat sitting with his wife on the East Pier summer crowd watching the yachts go out at some regatta or other. And as for becoming a trawler-owning magnate, the Ringsend fishermen quietly put paid to that in their own way, but you’ll have to read Cormac’s book to find out how.

JOYCEAN SITUATIONS

In reading about the adventures of Barklie and others who came to Dublin on the make in that interesting era, we end up with leading figures who find themselves in situations which could have come straight out of the writings of James Joyce.

And Bryan Dobson of RTE – whose family’s connections with the area give him a direct personal interest in the story – rightly remarked, in his lively and enthusiastic launching of the book in Ringsend’s Poolbeg Yacht & Boat Club, that if you could re-build the Dublin of 1904 from Joyce’s Ulysses, then you could re-build the Ringsend of 1885 from Cormac’s book.

At the launching of Cormac Lowth’s “Ringsend Sailing Trawlers” in the Poolbeg Y&BC were (left to right) Lar Joye (Port Heritage Director of Dublin Port Company), Bryan Dobson of RTE, Cormac Lowth, and Hal Sisk (Chairman of the Association of Yachting Historians and Director of Peggy Bawn Press).At the launching of Cormac Lowth’s “Ringsend Sailing Trawlers” in the Poolbeg Y&BC were (left to right) Lar Joye (Port Heritage Director of Dublin Port Company), Bryan Dobson of RTE, Cormac Lowth, and Hal Sisk (Chairman of the Association of Yachting Historians and Director of Peggy Bawn Press).

But in the end, while the people and their social and working situations are fascinating and at times heart-breaking, the true stars of the book are the wonderful fishing boats, the people who sailed them, and the versatility of both.

THE DUBLIN BAY PILOT BOATS

For instance, there’s the matter of the Dublin Bay Pilot Boats. As the port’s trade increased, and the size of the ships serving it grew rapidly, it had been generally reckoned by historians that all the guidance needs of the incoming larger ships could not have been met by the crews of hobblers rowing out in their relatively small skiffs to meet the pilot-seeking vessels.

Yet why are we not aware of the Dublin Bay Pilot Cutters as we are aware of the distinctive Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters, or the even more splendid Le Havre Pilot Cutters as represented by the sublime Jolie Brise? The answer is simple. The best Dublin Bay Pilot Cutters were re-purposed cutter-rigged Ringsend Sailing Trawlers, or new trawler-style cutters built to be Pilot Boats in the first place.

The Dublin Bay Pilot Boat Sophia in Dun Laoghaire Harbiur. As the demand grew for all-weather pilot boats for Dublin Bay and Port, it was soon found that the Ringsend trawler type could be readily adapted for the role. Photo courtesy Hal Sisk/Cormac LowthThe Dublin Bay Pilot Boat Sophia in Dun Laoghaire Harbiur. As the demand grew for all-weather pilot boats for Dublin Bay and Port, it was soon found that the Ringsend trawler type could be readily adapted for the role. Photo courtesy Hal Sisk/Cormac Lowth

They were fast, they could keep the sea in almost all weathers, and in order to make them a pilot cutter even if they had been used as a fishing boat, all you had to do was clean the fish hold, put in rudimentary accommodation for pilots, and add a distinctive number or name on the mainsail, which would be kept white instead of the usual tan bark of the fishing boats.

Another question is that surely, with the expansionary nature of recreational sailing in the Golden Era of yachting from 1880 to 1914, the demands of racing big boats at close quarters would have sought to draw on the highly-regarded sailing skills of the Ringsend trawler men?

OWEN BISSETT, RINGSEND’S TOP YACHT RACING ACE

The answer is of course yes. But as they were regarded as paid hands in the very stratified social world of the time, only the top skippers achieved general name recognition. And of Ringsend’s galaxy of successful racing stars, the superstar was Owen Bissett.

The trawler Greyhound was owned and worked in winter by Owen Bissett of Ringsend, but often in summer he was away in the more lucrative position as a leading big yacht racing skipper, and it may well be that because of this, Greyhound is settimg a high quality white jib instead of the usual tanned sail. Photo: Courtesy Cormac LowthThe trawler Greyhound was owned and worked in winter by Owen Bissett of Ringsend, but often in summer he was away in the more lucrative position as a leading big yacht racing skipper, and it may well be that because of this, Greyhound is settimg a high quality white jib instead of the usual tanned sail. Photo: Courtesy Cormac Lowth

In the summer, he was the man to have on board if you wished to win in your big yacht. And in the winter he was owner-skipper of the handsome trawler ketch Greyhound, which in Cormac’s book is shown – unusually – as setting a white jib while all the other sails are tanned. The likely explanation is that the quality jib came off one of the yachts that Bissett raced, where the sails would be changed annually, an extravagant approach which would definitely not be replicated in the tightly-financed trawler business.

WHAT HAPPENED?

The hugely-significant Ringsend sailing trawler industry declined very quickly after 1914. Its demise was speeded by World War I, the rapid expansion of steam trawler fleets at larger purpose-built fishing ports, and the weakening of commercial cross-channel links with the establishment of the Irish Free State.

Thus we all owe a debt of gratitude to Cormac Lowth for his comprehensive book – in truth, there’s the makings of three books here – and to Peggy Bawn Press who, with the talents of Gary Mac Mahon of Copper Reed Studio in Limerick to draw on for the production challenge, and the support of Dublin Port to keep the show on the road, have given us all something attractively tangible to study. It helps us to grasp why it is so important to encourage Ringsend’s continuing sense of its maritime self, a cherished part of the greater project of maintaining Dublin’s role as a living, breathing, working city-port, with all the natural dignity which that brings with it.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

The great sailing trawlers may have gone as working boats, but some – such as the Leader in Carlingford Lough - live on as sail training ships. And meanwhile, the talents of the best sailing families come down through the generations.

Ross McDonald of Howth, for instance, current Champion of Champions in the International 1720s and other classes, is a direct descendant of Owen Bissett. The apple does not fall far from the tree.

International 1720 European Champions (and Boat of the Week) with Atara at Cork Week are (left to right) Aoife English, Paddy Good, Killian Collins, Robbie English and Ross McDonald. Ross McDonald is a direct descendant of Ringsend sailing superstar Oen Bissett. Photo: Rick TomlinsonInternational 1720 European Champions (and Boat of the Week) with Atara at Cork Week are (left to right) Aoife English, Paddy Good, Killian Collins, Robbie English and Ross McDonald. Ross McDonald is a direct descendant of Ringsend sailing superstar Oen Bissett. Photo: Rick Tomlinson

As for the great Ringsend maritime names of Murphy and Kearney, they did not go gently into the night of anonymity. The great days of fishing may have been over, but as Dublin port’s ship berthing development progressed, the innovative Joe Murphy – who somehow still managed to look like a film star even when jammed into the brutal confines of a heavy diving suit – was there in the front line of development. And when the famous Diving Bell was threatened with scrapping, he played a key role in ensuring it was preserved as something of exceptional interest.

It takes real style to continue to look like a matinee idol when jammed into a traditional diving outfit, but Joe Murphy of the famous Ringsend boatbuilding and fishing family could carry it off. He was also instrumental in preserving Dublin Port’s historic Diving Bell, and he drew the lines and construction plans for the Clondalkin-built Galway Hooker Naomh Cronan.It takes real style to continue to look like a matinee idol when jammed into a traditional diving outfit, but Joe Murphy of the famous Ringsend boatbuilding and fishing family could carry it off. He was also instrumental in preserving Dublin Port’s historic Diving Bell, and he drew the lines and construction plans for the Clondalkin-built Galway Hooker Naomh Cronan.

And Joe Murphy’s boat-creation talents stayed with him to the end. When it was decided by the Clondalkin Community Group more than twenty years to build the big Galway Hooker Naomh Cronan as an Irish language project, it was to Joe Murphy that they turned for line and constructional drawings, and the skill and success of his efforts can be seen in the authenticity of the Naomh Cronan, now based in Galway City.

As for the Kearneys, well, boat-builder Jem Kearney – now with his yard at the East Wall - continued on his merry way as someone who availed of every opportunity for enjoyment, his way and style of life totally at variance with the popular conception of the 1950s as a drab time of economic gloom and inevitable emigration.

A family thing. Playboy boatbuilder and salmon fisherman Jem Kearney testing the limits of the bona fide traveller regulations at the Boot Inn with Cormac Lowth’s Granny Nora (left) and Great Aunt Eileen (right). Photo: Courtesy Cormac LowthA family thing. Playboy boatbuilder and salmon fisherman Jem Kearney testing the limits of the bona fide traveller regulations at the Boot Inn with Cormac Lowth’s Granny Nora (left) and Great Aunt Eileen (right). Photo: Courtesy Cormac Lowth

And his brother John quietly got on with designing, with his yachts now built in Malahide Shipyard, while the 17ft Mermaid - which he’d originally designed in 1932 – became the largest class in Ireland in the 1950s and early ’60s.

Yet it was after he’d turned 80 that the greatest challenge arrived on his design board in Monkstown. Perry Greer, an engineering polymath who headed up the large Unidare industrial conglomerate, had for several years been the owner of the successful 16-ton Kearney-designed yawl Ann Gail. But his dream was of something larger, and somehow in the early 1960s he brought together the special but highly individual and sometimes spiky talents of designer John Kearney of Ringsend and boatbuilder Jack Tyrrell of Arklow to create the 54ft 29-ton yawl Helen of Howth, which was launched in 1963 when John B Kearney was 84.

The sparks might fly – Jack Tyrrell and John Kearney at one of their weekly Saturday morning meetings in Arklow during the construction of Helen of Howth in 1962. Photo: Perry GreerThe sparks might fly – Jack Tyrrell and John Kearney at one of their weekly Saturday morning meetings in Arklow during the construction of Helen of Howth in 1962. Photo: Perry Greer

Helen of Howth – as created by a Ringsend boy at the age of 83. Not shown in these plans is a centreboard for improved windward performance, but she could make to windward without using it.Helen of Howth – as created by a Ringsend boy at the age of 83. Not shown in these plans is a centreboard for improved windward performance, but she could make to windward without using it.

The quality of the plans of Helen as drawn by this very focused octogenarian tell us much of the man. And with her sea kindliness and effortless yet comfortable speed, she had all the most attractive characteristics of the best Ringsend sailing trawlers. She was one of the most comfortable boats I’ve ever sailed on, though over the years her racing competitiveness was blunted by the fact that Perry Greer could never resist adding items – sometime heavy ones – which augmented this comfort, such that she became a home-from-home of so much welcoming warmth that on one round Ireland cruise with many stops, her owner-skipper never went ashore at all, as he could enjoy all the scenery from the comfort of his beloved boat, while the food was better than anything else available in the neighbourhood, as he was an ace cook.

Helen of Howth was renowned for her seakindliness and easy speed, but her racing competitiveness was blunted by owner Perry Greer’s tendency to add new creature comforts each year – so much so, in fact that the boot-top had to be raised every few years.Helen of Howth was renowned for her seakindliness and easy speed, but her racing competitiveness was blunted by owner Perry Greer’s tendency to add new creature comforts each year – so much so, in fact that the boot-top had to be raised every few years.

Yet while Helen of Howth is believed to be no longer with us, the spirit of Ringsend lives on with vigour. And Cormac Lowth’s Ringsend Sailing Trawlers gives us a new insight into a very special community, and an area which provides a living accessibility to times past, adding extra meaning to the widely-shared determination to make the very best of Dublin as a true city port.

Ringsend Sailing Trawlers

By Cormac Lowth
Published by Peggy Bawn Press
€27
[email protected]

Published in W M Nixon
Tagged under

Dublin Port Company is changing the speed limits throughout its north port road network from 50km/h to 40km/h as part of the Dublin SafePort initiative. The initiative also announces the alignment of the speed limits within the seven unitised terminals to 20km/h.

Dublin SafePort is a port-wide safety initiative launched in July with the support of all seven unitised terminal operators. The founding partners of this initiative are Dublin Ferryport Terminals, Doyle Shipping Group, Dublin Port Company, Irish Ferries, Peel Ports, Seatruck Ferries, Stena Line and P&O Ferries. The purpose of the initiative is to support and foster an enhanced safety culture among port workers which will see Dublin Port Company and the seven terminal operators increase their collaboration and alignment on safety practices across the 260-hectare estate.

Following completion of the main phase of Dublin Port’s internal roads project to upgrade and reconfigure the Port’s internal road network the current phase of the Dublin SafePort initiative focuses on roads and terminal speed limit safety. The investment in roads, in active travel and the launch of the Dublin SafePort initiative are important steps in the safe development of Dublin Port in line with Masterplan 2040.

The announcement comes as Dublin Port once again hosts Irish Port Safety Week following its successful launch last year. The dates for Irish Port Safety Week this year were selected to follow European Safety Week, as port authorities across the country have come together to highlight and enhance collective safety responsibility with events planned for each day of the week.

The events of Irish Port Safety Week are an opportunity to work collaboratively, to share knowledge and experience towards improving safety culture. The calendar of events includes a HGV Driving Simulator, the RSA’s road safety interactive unit, known as the Shuttle, fire awareness training, first aid training, and a mental health talk from former New Zealand rugby star and pundit Brent Pope on Wednesday. Wednesday will also see the judging of a colouring competition amongst local schools with the prizes being awarded in the afternoon.

Dublin Port is delighted to have the assistance and support of the Road Safety Authority, An Garda Síochána, Dublin Fire Brigade, the Irish Coast Guard, the RNLI and other services who interact frequently across the port area.

Irish Ports Safety Week Calendar of Events - Dublin Port

Irish Ports Safety Week Calendar of Events - Dublin PortIrish Ports Safety Week Calendar of Events - Dublin Port

Commenting on the changes, Dublin Port Harbour Master Captain Michael McKenna said, “The health and safety of all port users is the highest priority. I am delighted that the Dublin SafePort partners are showing such commitment with the changes and alignment of our speed limits and our hosting of Irish Port Safety Week. There is a calendar of fantastic events throughout the week which are open to all port users and tenants and we are inviting and encouraging as many people as possible to get involved. We are grateful for the support of key stakeholders including An Garda Síochána, the Road Safety Authority, the HSA and the unitised terminal operators as we look forward to working together to continue to develop the Dublin SafePort initiative.”

Dublin Port Harbour Master Captain Michael McKennaDublin Port Harbour Master Captain Michael McKenna

Christine Hegarty, Road Safety and Education Manager at the RSA said, “Our collaborative work with Dublin Port on this change has been a rewarding experience. Speed reduction is a key factor in reducing the number of accidents on our roads and the Port’s road network is no different, so it is heartening to see them take such a proactive approach to managing that situation.”

Published in Dublin Port
Tagged under
Page 4 of 59

About World Ocean Day 

World Ocean Day is celebrated annually on June 8th to highlight the important role the ocean has for our life and the planet. The focus each year is on the 30x30 campaign: to create a healthy ocean with abundant wildlife and to stabilise the climate, it is critical that 30% of our planet’s lands, waters, and oceans are protected by 2030.  

One of the issues affecting our ocean is marine litter which has become a global problem for both humans and marine life. However, communities around Ireland have demonstrated their desire to be part of the solution by taking part in several beach cleaning and clean-up calls to action. 

Statistics show that the number one cause of marine litter is litter dropped in towns and cities.

In 2021, the initiative changed its name from “World Oceans Day” to “World Ocean Day”. By dropping the “s”, its organisers wanted to highlight the fact that we are all connected by a large ocean. This shared ocean supports all life on the planet, by producing most of the oxygen we breathe and regulating climate. No matter where we live, we all depend on the ocean to survive.

This means that each piece of marine litter removed from a beach, river, lake, park or street in Ireland, will have a positive impact on a global scale.

At A Glance - World Ocean Day is on June 8th each year

United Nations World Ocean Day is celebrated annually on June 8th to highlight the important role the ocean has for our life and the planet.

Featured Sailing School

INSS sidebutton

Featured Clubs

dbsc mainbutton
Howth Yacht Club
Kinsale Yacht Club
National Yacht Club
Royal Cork Yacht Club
Royal Irish Yacht club
Royal Saint George Yacht Club

Featured Brokers

leinster sidebutton

Featured Webcams

Featured Associations

ISA sidebutton
ICRA
isora sidebutton

Featured Marinas

dlmarina sidebutton

Featured Chandleries

CHMarine Afloat logo
https://afloat.ie/resources/marine-industry-news/viking-marine

Featured Sailmakers

northsails sidebutton
uksails sidebutton
watson sidebutton

Featured Blogs

W M Nixon - Sailing on Saturday
podcast sidebutton
BSB sidebutton
wavelengths sidebutton
 

Please show your support for Afloat by donating