The seasonal positions offer an opportunity to protect and develop Ireland’s rivers, lakes and waterways during the summer months. There are up to 40 positions on offer across six River Basin Districts.
Sean Canney, Minister of State with responsibility for inland fisheries, said: “Fisheries officers play a vital role in protecting, conserving, managing and developing Ireland’s precious natural fisheries resource.
“They help enforce fisheries legislation which protects against illegal fishing activity and support the development of the resource through the maintenance of angling infrastructure.
“The recruitment of up to 40 seasonal officers will reinforce the critical work of Inland Fisheries Ireland during the high activity period of the year when there is increased demand for protection, conservation and support.”
Roisin Bradley, head of HR at Inland Fisheries Ireland, said the seasonal roles “offer an excellent opportunity to spend your summer outdoors helping to protect and enhance Ireland’s rivers, lakes and coastline.
“Our fisheries officers are custodians of this precious natural fisheries resource. We are looking for people across the country who enjoy working outdoors, who are passionate about protecting our fisheries resource and who have excellent interpersonal skills.”
The roles are available on a six-month basis with contracts commencing from late April and training provided to all new recruits. The locations for the new positions will be based across the country in the following districts:
- Eastern River Basin District: five vacancies across Kilcoole, Co Wicklow; Dundalk, Co Louth; Drogheda, Co Louth; CityWest, Co Dublin.
- South Eastern River Basin District: seven vacancies across Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary; Enniscorthy, Co Wexford; New Ross, Co Wexford.
- South Western River Basin District: five vacancies across Farnanes, Co Cork; Kenmare, Co Kerry; Killorglin, Co Kerry; Bantry, Co Cork.
- Shannon River Basin District: six vacancies across Listowel, Co Kerry; Limerick, Co Limerick; Birr, Co Offaly; Sheelin, Co Westmeath.
- Western River Basin District: five vacancies across Galway City and Ballinakill, Co Galway; Ballina and Bangor Erris, Co Mayo; Sligo, Co Sligo.
- North Western River Basin District: six vacancies across Cavan town, Co Cavan; Letterkenny, Glenties, Ballyshannon and Gweedore, Co Donegal.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 8 February 2019. To find out more about the roles and how to apply, visit fisheriesireland.ie/careers.