Displaying items by tag: Cléire
The Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs, Pat Carey, T.D., has announced the launch of a report on the employment needs and the economic development potential of the islands. The economic consultants, FGS Consulting, were commissioned by the Department of Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs to compile the report under the direction of a steering committee made up of representatives from Comhar na nOileán, Údarás na Gaeltachta and the Department itself. The report's recommendations relate to the following areas:
- Issues related to the cost of living and to improving the islands' infrastructure;
- Cost factors that prevent the establishment and operation of commercial enterprises on the islands;
- The islands' development potential and the employment needs of island communities;
- Recommendations regarding further targeted support measures which would be aimed at the promotion of sustainable development and job creation; and
- The costs and advantages relating to any of the new measures recommended to support investment.
Minister Carey said that the Department would use the report as a basis for the development of further policies in relation to the islands in the coming years and that he hoped that some of the recommendations could be put in place in the short term at very little cost. He said, "We now intend to carry out a further examination of the various recommendations made in the report in consultation with other relevant Departments and state agencies to establish the most practical method of implementation."
A copy of the complete study is available on the Department's website www.pobail.ie.
The following is a list of the islands which were included in the study:
Island County Population
Toraigh Donegal 142
Árainn Mhór Donegal 522
Clare Island Mayo 136
Inishturk Island Mayo 58
Inishbofin Galway 199
Árainn Galway 824
Inis Meáin Galway 154
Inis Oírr Galway 247
Bear Island Cork 187
Sherkin Island Cork 106
Cléire Cork 125