Displaying items by tag: Boating
The Irish Marine Federation (IMF) is the national organisation representing both commercial and leisure sectors of the marine industry in Ireland.
The IMF is affiliated to the Irish Business and Employers Confederation (IBEC) which provides the Secretariat from its Dublin office.
IBEC has regional offices in Cork, Donegal, Galway, Limerick and Waterford and an office in Brussels, the Irish Business Bureau.
The primary aims of the Federation are:
To promote the interests of all sectors of the marine industry in Ireland and to encourage its growth and development.
To represent the interests of the industry to Government, State Agencies and European institutions, thereby influencing public policies.
To promote the image of the industry through quality awareness, public statements and the organisation of Boat Shows.
To provide advice, information and services to members in order to assist in achieving these objectives.
Membership of the Federation also gives full membership of the Small Firms Association (www.sfa.ie) who represent small firms trans-sectorally by coverage in the national press, television and radio and through the many regional meetings and seminars which take place throughout the country.
The association conducts regular surveys of business trends and publishes a bi-monthly magazine Running Your Business along with many reports on the needs of Irish business. They also provide advice and assistance on all aspects of personnel and industrial relations and specially designed training programmes aimed at small firms.
Membership of the IMF is open to all firms operating in the marine industry in Ireland, subject to the approval of the Council of the Federation.
Irish Marine Federation (IMF), Confederation House, 84/86 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2.
Tel: 01 605 1652, Fax: 01 638 1652, Email: [email protected]
The ISA is national governing body for all forms of recreational and competitive activities involving sail and engine powered craft in Ireland.
At the recent UIM (Union Internationale Motonautique) general assembly, the ISA was formally (and unanimously) approved as the recognised UIM member governing powerboat racing in Southern Ireland.
This is another step towards developing our commitment to promote motor boating activities in Ireland.
The ISA constantly monitors and reviews developments in sailing and boating and represents the interests of its members and other sailing and boating enthusiasts with government and international agencies.
The ISA has initiated the process of developing our third strategic plan (2009–2013) so that they can work to improve our services for the benefit of all boaters and sailors in the future.
The ISA also develops and administers a range of training and other services to support both members and all those involved in sailing and boating of all types, which currently includes:
Sail cruiser sailing
Motor cruiser sailing
Motor cruising (Inland Waterways)
Sligo Yacht Club is located in Rosses Point on the edge of Sligo Bay – one of the most ideal and beautiful locations for inshore racing in the country.
The original Sligo Yacht Club was founded in 1821 and did most of its racing on Lough Gill. Records show that the club was not active since the end of the 19th century and was completely disbanded at the turn of the century. However, despite the non existence of a sailing club, Sligo had an excellent maritime history and there were several sailing craft on Lough Gill and Sligo Bay.
In 1965, six enthusiastic sailors got together to build GP14 class dinghies and these sailors formed the nucleus of the reactivated Sligo Yacht Club. Racing in GP14s took place in spring and autumn on Lough Gill, and during the summer months Sligo Bay was the venue for club racing. In the early 70s, Sligo Yacht Club commenced building the present Club house which was formally opened by the late President Childers on 14th September 1973.
In the last few years the Clubhouse has been extended and in 1987, the America's Cup Bar was added. Sligo Yacht Club has a healthy fleet of some 40 GP14s, 30 Mirrors, Laser Picos, Lasers and an ever increasing Cruiser Class. Racing for Cruisers take place on Wednesday and Fridays. The GP14s race on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays while the Mirrors take to the water every day of the week during the summer holidays. The Club has a very enthusiastic Junior section and each year there is a well attended Junior Sail Training Course run under the auspices of the Irish Sailing Association. Introductory sailing for adults occurs early each spring and during the summer.
Running championships at National, European, and even World level does not present problems for Sligo Yacht Club. Sligo has a reputation for hosting major championships with a professionalism that is byword in sailing circles. The Club provides a 'happy mix' of excellent racing facilities backed up by a social programme that makes it one of the top clubs in the country.
Sligo Yacht Club hosted the Enterprise World Championships in 1979. In 1977 and again in 1980, the Scorpion Class held their European Championship in Sligo. The IDRA 14 Dinghy Class National Championships were hosted by Sligo in 1976, 1978, 1982 and 1983. The Club also hosted two very successful Dinghy Weeks in 1978 and again in 1983.
Mirror Week incorporating Junior and Senior National Championships was first hosted by Sligo in 1974, ten years later in 1984, in 1999 and again in 2003. In 1987, the Mirror World Championships took place in Sligo. In 2008, the Mirror European Championships will be held in Sligo.
In 1998, Sligo Yacht Club welcomed visitors from all over the country to Rosses Point for the GP14 National Championships, and in 2000 the Mermaid Nationals. The GP14 Class again came to Rosses Point for their Irish National Championships in 2005 as a prelude to the World championships of the GP14 Class which was hosted by Sligo Yacht Club. The event took place from July 30 to August 4 2006, and was the first major test for the new Clubhouse.
SYC has excellent facilities and beautiful sailing grounds. Cruiser racing takes place on Wednesday and Friday evenings while dinghy racing is on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoon. Sailing season is from April to September. Bar open on sailing days. Courses run throughout the summer months.
(The above details and image courtesy of Sligo Yacht Club)
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
The club was formed on the evening of Friday 24th April 1964 at a meeting in Broder’s Hotel, now the Newbury Hotel, Mullingar in response to a notice placed in the 'Westmeath Examiner', by Keith Pinder, calling for a meeting of people interested in sailing.
At this inaugural meeting a committee was formed whose first task was to find a site from which to sail. This first committee consisted of: Commodore, Dr. G. Jackson. Hon. Secretary, Keith Pinder. Hon. Treasurer, Ivor Fogg. Committee, Dermot Bannon, David Gibson-Brabazon, J. O’Donnell, C. Corcoran, Mrs Farrell and Mrs. Jackson. Due to the sudden death of Dr. Jackson later that year, Dermot Bannon was elected as Commodore.
For the first few years, we sailed from a field, on the shore of Lough Owel on Joe Dolan’s land at Portloman. The GP14 was the class we adopted having been recommended by Greg Petrie; a decision never regretted. Four members ordered boats in kit form and built them (some of these boats are still sailing well), and having no previous sailing experience, members taught themselves to sail over the following few years. Organised club racing that followed helped to improve the standard of sailing considerably.
In the time sailed from Dolan’s we had our first regatta in 1965, actually sailed from Dermot Bannon’s land further up the shore at Portloman. With more space to erect the necessary marquees, etc., and for visitor access, we hosted a number of meetings from Lough Ennell. As well as for GP14s, classes catered for included, Shannon-One-Designs, Enterprises and Fireflies.
So that we could grow, it was decided that we needed a site with better access and boat parking facilities and a search for one started. The site decided upon was one offered by Phillip Ginnell at Mullally’s where we are now and moved there in the season of 1970. This same year we held our first IYA, now the ISA, sail-training course using the Mirror dinghy we had then recently adopted for junior sailing; these annual courses are still being run today.
The site was bordered with a fence in 1971 and since then the site has grown steadily. We have had two clubhouses prior to our present one. The first was a mobile home purchased in 1984; a little cramped, it got us in out of any bad weather in which to change and meet. Unfortunately a violent storm blew off its roof and, though it was replaced, the mobile home was never quite the same again. An old disused army timber barrack hut erected by club members in 1987 replaced this. It served us well for many years until it was dismantled, removed and replaced by the present, custom-built clubhouse officially opened in November 2004.
We have hosted a number of important meetings. As well as the various GP14 championship and open meetings, we have hosted the 470 class Carlsberg Warrior Trials in 1973, a roving trial at which the Irish 470 squad was determined for the 1976 Olympic Games in Canada. Sailed in 1978 in fresh winds we hosted the Optimist Leinster championships and, more recently, in 2004 hosted the Fireball Nationals in May of that year. Later in September we had the GP14 Autumn Open Meeting sailed in strong winds.
During Easter of 2006 we hosted the Mirror Leinster championships and in October we have the GP14 Frostbite meeting: Brass monkeys need not apply!
Finally, Two members have received public honours in recognition for services to sailing. The first was Keith Pinder who, in 1998 received the Westmeath All-Stars award for his services to sailing in Co. Westmeath. The second was Kieran Milner who was awarded the ISA Volunteer of The Year award in 2002, again for his services and contributions to sailing. Private club honours have gone to Keith Pinder, Ivor Fogg, David Gibson-Brabazon, Robert Heath and Garry Walshe who were awarded honorary life memberships of the club in December 2002 for their services to the club.
The Mullingar Sailing Club has progressed from its humble beginnings, when members had to change into and out of sailing gear in the open air beside their cars and then, shortly after, nearly having to close due to too few members. From this we have grown to a thriving and popular club for both members and welcomed visitors alike. Its enthusiastic committees and membership will ensure that the club will continue to thrive for many years to come. Robert Heath
(Above details and images courtesy of Mullingar Sailing Club)
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Founded in 1770, Lough Ree Yacht Club is the second oldest sailing club in the world. The tradition of organised pleasure boating in Athlone goes back to at least 1731, with a regatta on the Shannon amongst the 'diversions' promised for a festival week in the town. Early activities appear to have involved a rendezvous at some agreed place and a cruise in company in the manner of a naval flotilla but racing eventually developed.
From its earliest days it was known as Athlone Yacht Club and was renamed Lough Ree Yacht Club in 1895. At that time the lion and roses from the arms of Athlone town were also adopted as the Club burgee.
Junior sailing was introduced to the Club in 1968 in the form of a dozen Optimist dinghies, and this fleet has expanded and thrived most successfully since that time being joined by Mirrors and Lasers in recent years.
Cruiser racing has returned to prominence over the past thirty years with a mixed handicap fleet and the J24 one design was adopted as a Club class in 2000.
The Club has made rapid strides in recent years, particularly by the acquisition of more property, and the extension and improvement of the premises and provision of fixed and floating jetties. Sailing activity is currently at a high level and the Club continues in the tradition of its 237 years to be a convivial centre of sailing on Lough Ree and the host to many important sailing events.
(The above information and image courtesy of Lough Ree Yacht Club)
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Lough Erne Yacht Club now occupies a former WW2 RAF site built in 1941 for Catalina flying boats
The former slipway, moorings and hangar are now used for members' sailing boats, power boats and caravans. The Clubhouse, with changing rooms, bar and social facilities was built in the 1960s & 1980s. A marina containing berths with full water and electricity was completed in 1992 and an extension with space for an additional 28 berths has recently been added.
WWII History of LEYC
Winter 1940 brought flying boats to Gublusk Bay. RAF Stranraer had been set up in August, but Lough Erne was over a hundred miles closer to the mid-Atlantic, where air cover was urgently needed by convoys under attack from U-boats.
Two boats from Stranraer surveyed the Lough from the air at Christmas. In January, the Free State Government secretly allowed flying straight to the Atlantic via the Donegal Corridor. In February, RAF Stranraer’s 209 and 240 Squadrons were re-equipping and training with Catalinas, and began to use Lough Erne. These handy aircraft carried a full service kit so their crews could set up a first base quickly on any sheltered beach. Thus did RAF Killadeas begin along the sheltered north shore of Gublusk Bay, nowadays the home of our Lough Erne Yacht Club.
The first photograph shows Catalinas on Gublusk shore in mid-winter 1941, engines under corrugated iron canopies for servicing, a hospital under construction on land north to the Manor House, and a big boat shed, half built – today called the Hangar. A hatched line marks the edge of the planned concrete hard standing. The work was done by US servicemen under Ivan Bicklehaupt USN, in civilian clothing. A couple of years later, his men used Killadeas experiences as similar US Navy Catalina forward bases were set up on Pacific island beaches in the Japanese war.
On 12 March, first casualties were all of a 240 squadron crew in a Catalina out of RAF Killadeas that hit a hill and burnt in Leitrim. On 27 March, 209 and 240 transferred from Stranraer to RAF Killadeas. Another 240 crew were all lost on 7 May when a Catalina from RAF Killadeas crashed in flames mistaking a landing onto mirror-calm water near Gay Island. They are remembered today by one of Joe O’Loughlin’s memorial stones nearby at the Marina beacon.
Training was rewarded three weeks later on 26 May, when a Catalina from 209 found the Bismarck on her way to France after sinking the Hood, and handed over to another from 240 to follow this dangerous battleship. She was sunk next day. Thereafter, for the crews of the Catalinas, and the Sunderlands from Castle Archdale, the war was rarely so glamorous, but often dangerous, uncomfortable and boring. They flew whatever the weather. Landing in summer sunshine from clear air to calm water was a puzzling danger. Navigation, hundreds of miles off-shore was another dangerous puzzle, particularly in the dark, freezing, blinding fury of winter Atlantic gales and driving snow storms.
A few planes were shot down. Many flew out and did not return. Perhaps fifty crashed on coastal headlands in the lough or on inland hilltops. Joe O’Loughlin recorded 330 casualties onto Rolls of Honour by Catalina, Sunderland and land plane, and presented these on Remembrance Sunday 2005 for display at LEYC, Castle Archdale and St Angelo.
RAF Killadeas expanded in mid-1942 to include OTU 131, an Operational Training Unit, where individual pilots, navigators, gunners and radio operators, trained in Galloway and elsewhere, became crews and learned to operate together patrolling the Atlantic hunting submarines in Catalinas, and later in Sunderlands. RAF Killadeas became a big place, with accommodation for 2,800 RAF personnel, and a new Catalina slipway on the east shore of Gublusk Bay.
Most from OTU 131 were posted elsewhere. Canadian pilot, Bud Crooks, who unveiled Joe O’Loughlin’s OTU 131 memorial stone at LEYC Flagstaff in 2000, remembered flying his Sunderland to the Far East after training. When the war ended, and its longest running battle, the Battle of the Atlantic, RAF Killadeas closed down, leaving surplus buildings and scrap aircraft, boats, tools and equipment. A plan to make the site into a Butlin’s Holiday Camp did not happen. Corrugated iron scrap from buildings was sold to Belfast, and some used for Casement Park GAA stadium.
LEYC has been on the site since 1950. Likewise, Stranraer Sailing Club is on the old RAF slipway there. Our historic Fairy keelboats have wintered in the Hangar for over 50 years, a major reason for their survival to centenary in 2006. In summer, they launch down a WW2 slipway to lie on flying boat moorings, while hoisting their 1906 gunter mainsails. Catalina service bays now hold the RNLI Station, LEYC’s BBQ and children’s dinghy racks. Rings that held Catalinas down in gales now secure catamarans. The refuelling jetty snugly berths a barge. Peace now, where once was war.
A second picture show Catalinas over RAF Killadeas about 1943, left foreground is the amphibian Catalina slipway under construction, with boats and aircraft in Gublusk Bay and around, and Devenish in the distance. A third shows Doreen, about 45 years later, moored by a chain to a clump on the bottom made for flying boats, her crew raising sail.
Copies of longer reports in the local Fermanagh press and loan of a DVD of the ceremony at LEYC are available.
Michael Clarke, LEYC Historian, Email [email protected]
'Sailing History of Lough Erne' is the title of an article in the local history journal, Clogher Record, 2005 edition
A century ago, the grand Crom era in LEYC’s history was at its height. A water-colour from then, showing a becalmed Two-Rater racing yacht off Crom Castle, graces the front cover of this 2005 editionof the Clogher Record.
Inside The Sailing History of Lough Erne is set out in 40 pages, from the Maguires in the 1500s, to Big Houses and ‘pretty yachts’ in the 1700s, to yacht racing’s 1818 pioneers, The Subscribers to the Boat Races on Lough Erne, for the encouragement of fast Sailing Boats, and for the improvement of the Navigation, then Two-Raters, Colleens and Fairy keelboats, Enniskillen Yacht Club, and today’s LEYC sited on the former WW2 flying boat base RAF Killadeas.
The Clogher Record, journal of the Clogher Historical Society, is circulated to its members and to many universities, libraries, museums and historical societies. The then LEYC Admiral, John Phillips acepted a copy presented to the Club which is in the Secretary's files and available to members. Ther is also a copy in Enniskillen Library, local history collection.
The club is located on Lower Lough Erne, Co Fermanagh, about 6 miles north of Enniskillen just off the main Enniskillen- Kesh-Belleek Road.
LEYC has a long history of competitive sailing at a national and international level and was one of the first clubs in Northern to achieve the national standard of Volvo RYA Champion Club in 2002 To gain the award, clubs must operate an approved scheme of youth sailing and race coaching which both introduces young people to sailing and helps them compete at different levels up to international standard.
The club has active J24, GP14, Laser and Topper fleets as well as a fleet of classic wooden sailing boats designed by Linton Hope known as the Fairies. LEYC hosts a number of major sailing events each year and its superb facilities, including a pillar crane for smaller boats and a straddle hoist for the larger boats and spacious camping and parking areas are much appreciated by visiting fleets
A large fleet of sailing cruisers, motor cruisers and smaller boats is also based at the LEYC with immediate access to the glorious cruising waters of the Erne Lakeland. With over 250 active members, there is a full sailing and social calendar every season. To apply for membership, contact [email protected] To enquire about courses, Try Sailing, or other information contact [email protected]
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Above: Harbour View. Photo: Gerard Stundon
Iniscealtra Sailing Club (ISC) is located on the shores of Lough Derg at Mountshannon, Co Clare, Ireland. It takes its name from the nearby monastic island known as Inis Cealtra or Holy Island (English).
The club was founded in the late sixties and is comprised mainly of a sailing cruiser fleet. Initially the small number of boat owners met, socialised and raced from the main harbour in Mountshannon. Most members hailed from the Limerick region.
However with the increase in numbers gathering, plus the increase in boats using the main harbour, the club looked around the immediate area and made a decision to purchase a prime site on the shores of the lake, adjacent to the main harbour, from where they could run the club events. In 1984 the club formed as a company limited and in 1985 land was purchased by the club, adjacent to the public harbour in Mountshannon. The deeds were signed and ISC became the proud owners of the new club site. Plans to develop this land were started and today a fine harbour, club house, parking and recreational areas have been developed and nurtured by the loyal members. The number of members increased and the interest in sailing and racing the sail boats grew progressively.
In the late ‘80s, plans were drawn up for a club house facility which has now been built and comprises of toilet facilities, showers, kitchen and a meeting/general use room. There is on shore water and power with berthing facilities to tie along side. The site is private and maintained by the members and allows for families and sailors to meet and socialise together when using their boats. A small slip allows sailors to access their moorings with the use of the club dinghy. The depth of the water is approximately 6-7 foot providing sufficient depth for most sailing boats.
The club is run by a committee who meet monthly to discuss all the club activities, planned events, racing calendar and other general issues. The committee operates on a voluntary basis and work to provide a well run, family orientated and sporting club for all members. The aim is to provide facilities for both larger and smaller boats and to introduce junior members to dinghy sailing.
(The above information and image courtesy of Iniscealtra Sailing Club)
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Above: Action from the 2009 Oyster Pearl event at D&CSC
2006 was a year of great importance for Carlingford Sailing Club, as the new Club House opened in May that year. The development indicates the great confidence of the Club Members and Officers in the future of sailing and shore-based related activities on the Lough.
The Club is now actively seeking new members to become part of a new chapter and new challenges. Commodore John Mc Kevitt is quick to point out that the future is being built on the solid foundations of the great traditions of the past. Now, the new Club House development marks the beginning of the next chapter in the life of Carlingford Sailing Club. That chapter will see the Members as customers, sailors and their friends who are deserving of the very best of quality service.
(The above information and image courtesy of Dundalk & Carlingford Sailing Club)
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Baltimore Sailing Club was founded in 1956 as a summer sailing club. From its inception it has been successfully developing leisure and competitive sailing in Baltimore Harbour. The Club over the years has continued to expand and teach safe sailing skills to young people from all backgrounds. With a function room, kitchen and bar it is very active in the summer months running sailing events, courses and many social activities.
Situated in West Cork on the edge of Roaringwater Bay. The clubhouse is on the pier and close to all facilities. Baltimore Harbour is a busy fishing village all year around with a regular ferry service to the many islands.
Baltimore is also a RNLI community with the local lifeboat house in the village. Many local people give freely of their time and energy to help make our coastal waters safer for all mariners. All crewmembers automatically become honorary members of Baltimore Sailing Club.
Baltimore is a sheltered harbour and a favourite spot for many Irish sailors and foreign cruising boats. There are excellent facilities, a pontoon to tie up at, or one may anchor off. There are some fine restaurants and pubs.
Within Roaringwater Bay there are numerous places to sail to. The famous Fastnet Rock Lighthouse is 14 miles out from Baltimore. Cape Clear Island with a lovely small harbour is the most southerly island off Ireland. Schull and Crookhaven are within in easy reach for the cruising person. Sherkin Island across the bay from Baltimore has a fine pier and a pontoon, belonging to the Island's hotel. For smaller boats there are many islands some uninhabited which have beautiful coves and some sandy beaches to day sail to.
The highlight of the summer season is the Baltimore Regatta always held on the 1st Monday in August. There are many activities and yachts converge on the harbour for a race out around the Islands. These yachts then partake in a week of regattas aroun Roaringwater Bay, now known as Calves Week.
History – The following are extracts from archives, compiled by Richard Perry, courtesy of the Baltimore Club website
The club premises had originally started in Salters Shed in the Harbour and was gradually added to.
The exact year of the foundation of Baltimore Sailing Club is somewhat uncertain! Above the bar, in the Club House, is the formal list of Commodores starting in 1952. In a letter, dated 3rd August 1976, Frank Murphy, who was the first Secretary of the club, stated that the club was founded in the summer of 1953. The Minutes of a Meeting held at Messrs Salters Baltimore on Saturday 28th July 1956 state that "It was unanimously felt that a Sailing Club should be formed.
Present were Thomas Fuller, Davis Wolfe, Hugh Musgrave, Ivo Kennedy, Robin Atkins, Alan Marten and Frank Murphy. At that meeting, on the proposal of Mr Musgrave, seconded by Mr Murphy, Mr Thomas Fuller was elected Commodore and on the proposal of Mr. Fuller, seconded by Mr Musgrave, Mr Frank Murphy was elected Secretary
The following Committee was appointed, which would also act as Sailing Committee: Commodore, Secretary, Robin Atkins and Pip Marten. Baltimore Sailing Club appeared to be the most suitable name but it was decided to withold a decision on this until the next meeting". So there are three years with a claim to be the start date!
There is no doubt that there was dinghy sailing before 1953, first at Tragumna and then at Baltimore and since the official list of Commodores starts in 1952, this should be the start year. It also enables us to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Club in 2002! Those who contest this can organise celebrations in 2003 and 2006!
The most interesting account of the founding of the Baltimore Sailing Club is contained in a letter from Frank Murphy to John Newenham (Commodore 1976) dated 3rd August 1976 from which I quote:
"You asked me about Tom and the foundation of the Club. The real background is not generally known. Tom was always deeply concerned at the emigration from Baltimore and Skibbereen and spent much time and money here and abroad, and over a long period, in attempts to establish industries to give employment, but without success. I went with him in one of these efforts which took us to Zurich in 1952. Eventually we discussed expanding and developing the indigenous industry of boat building and promoting Baltimore and the islands as a resort for centreboard sailing which would also benefit local tourism.The first step was to get the people who came there "doing it". Apart from a few motor boats there was only an International 12', one unclassified 12' and an old 2.1/2 ton yacht.
There were increasing numbers of young people both local and summer visitors who could be interested and taught to sail; to start a club was an obvious necessity. I wanted to push on with it but Tom was against doing so until we could be sure of more support. In the early summer of 1953 two more International 12's arrived; in the week following a third was bought in Crosshaven and, when I called to Tom on the Saturday, he had already heard all and declared we start the club immediately and was passing the news all around for a meeting that night, which was duly held in Salter's Lounge (now Bushe's Bar).
He was elected Commodore, and henceforth he and Olive gave it most of their spare time, winter and summer. For years they never missed a weekend on the pier, in fact I only remember one absence in all their years of office when they had to attend the funeral of a relative in England."
Tom Fuller remained Commodore of the Club until 1966. His successor was Frank Murphy who held the position for a year, followed by Hugh Musgrave for two years. Since then the post has been held 17 Commodores, changing approximately every two years. Above all Baltimore Sailing Club was a family club run on a completely voluntary basis. Today many of the children and grandchildren of the founding families are most active participants. There are a total of approximately 200 members.
Undoubtedly the events which put Baltimore on the Sailing Map of Ireland were the Dinghy Weeks. The first one was held in 1960 and was a huge success. By 1969 the Dinghy Week fleet had risen to 250 boats! In the early days Pip Marten was oustanding in that he would turn his hand to absolutely anything which needed to be repaired or done.
He was a good friend of Tom Fuller and a great help to him. Pip was Treasurer for several years. He now lives in Wisborough Green in Sussex and remembers the early days of the club very well. The dinghy weeks were great events. Reg Fraser (Marys Murphy's uncle) illuminated the village, castle and church with flood lights. There was a huge amount of work for the Dinghy Weeks. The Ladies Committee had their own bank account from which all the catering was done. They went out for quotes for a whole range of foodstuffs and kitchen equipment well before the event.
In the early days, starts were in the cove between the Rocket House next to the Baltimore House Hotel (now the Field's residence) and a car parked on the grass opposite on Coney Island (now tree covered) in which Olive Fuller sat and beeped the horn. As the fleet grew the start was moved to Fishery Point.
Baltimore Sailing Club, Baltimore, West Cork. Email: [email protected]
About Baltimore Sailing Club
· Situated in West Cork, the village of Baltimore is just outside Skibbereen.
· Baltimore Sailing Club was founded 1952 and is located on the pier in Baltimore.
· Run by a voluntary committee drawn from local and visiting members.
· 300 members (local and international)
· Current Commodore: Joan Collins from Baltimore.
· From its inception the Club has been successfully developing leisure and competitive sailing in Baltimore Harbour and has continued to expand and teach safe sailing skills to young people from all backgrounds. With a function room, kitchen and bar it is very active in the summer months running sailing events, courses and many social activities.
· Baltimore Harbour is a busy fishing village all year around with a regular ferry service to the many islands.
2014 – New Clubhouse project
The project was seen through to fruition under the leadership of former Commodore, Tony O'Driscoll and his team of volunteers.
John McCarthy of McCarthy O'Brien Architects – Dublin/Baltimore.
Mikey Joe Leonard – Baltimore.
Works carried out:
· The existing shower rooms which were both cramped and substandard were replaced by a new larger shower block adjoining the existing building. This allowed for the original shower room areas to be adapted as additional teaching/meeting/social space within the main building and replace the marquee previously used to accommodate functions and events.
· New permanent storage facilities now also replace the previous portakabin store.
· The removal of these temporary structures in turn improves dinghy parking facilities.
· Urgent remedial works including replacement of the corrugated iron roof and rewiring were also carried out.
· Materials included white render finish, iroko timber cladding, aluclad windows and zinc cladding to the roofs as appropriate to the prominent location in the village harbour setting.
· Solar collectors are located on the south facing roof of the changing rooms to provide hot water and some underfloor heating to the changing rooms.
· The works commenced in September 2013 and despite the severe weather conditions at the beginning of the year were sufficiently complete to accommodate the Laser Dinghy Munster Championships, a large sailing event in Easter 2014.