Menu

Ireland's sailing, boating & maritime magazine

In association with ISA Logo Irish Sailing

Displaying items by tag: Boating
17th July 2009

Holywood Yacht Club

Holywood Yacht Club is a Recognised Teaching Centre (RTC). As such it is permitted to run RYA Courses using qualified RYA Instructors and standards are maintained by regular inspections.
Qualifications gained on RYA courses are widely recognised.

The Club welcomes new members of all ages and is well known for being family-friendly and down-to-earth. Throughout the year members organise an entertainments programme which centres around the club-house bar and hall with their fabulous views over Belfast Lough. Events have included barbecues, lectures, live music and quiz nights. Everyone is welcome.

For further information email: [email protected]

Holywood Yacht Club, The Esplanade, Holywood, Co. Down. Email: [email protected]

(Details courtesy of Holywood Yacht Club) 

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

Greystones Sailing Club

main-1.jpegLeft: Sunday Juniors at Greystones SC, 2009

Founded in 1968, Greystones Sailing Club has established a reputation as one of the top dinghy sailing clubs in Ireland. Its sailors have competed successfully in many open events over the years, both nationally and internationally. With over 300 members sailing a variety of dinghy classes, Greystones Sailing Club offers exciting and enjoyable dinghy racing for all ages and abilities and looks forward to welcoming keel boat members when the harbour facilities in Greystones are upgraded.

The club has an active training and sailing program providing sailing instruction for about 100 local children and 30 adults every year with on going class specific training for other members. Powerboat, VHF, First-Aid and Sailing Instructor courses are also run on an ad-hoc basis and are open to non-members. GSC also offers St David's Secondary School transition year students introductory Sailing courses.

Greystones Sailing Club has played host to a number of prestigious sailing events at International, National and Regional levels. It has organised and run Championship events for the Mirror, Enterprise, GP14 and Wayfarer classes. Greystones has been at the forefront of modern dinghy racing, introducing the RS dinghy classes into Ireland and for three of the last five years, hosting one leg of the internationally renowned RS Eurocup circuit.

(The above information and image courtesy of Greystones Sailing Club) 

Greystones Sailing Club, Club Secretary, North Beach, Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Email: [email protected] 

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

East Belfast Yacht Club

East Belfast Yacht Club was founded by workers from the Belfast Shipyards in 1904, and has enjoyed both the high and the low years through its existence. From the high points through the 1920s/30s/40s and '50s when the Club hosted many sailing races and entertained the owners and masters of the massive J-Class yachts down to the more plentiful and massively supported Belfast Lough one designs through to the Flying Fifteens and Dragons and others of the various periods.

The Club was previously situated at the head of Belfast Lough near the now defunct oil refinery on the South shore but has been based on the present site in Sydenham Embayment between The Belfast City Airport and Victoria Park since 1939.

More recent activities have been more towards the Cruising side of Yachting with boats being built and refurbished at our base at Sydenham Embayment and used to cruise the Inland Loughs, the Irish Sea, The Med and indeed through Europe and across to the America's.

We have become established as the main non professional producer and knowledge base for boats built from Ferro-cement in Ireland, and have had visitors from many countries in Europe who wished to avail of our knowledge on the subject. A past Member and his good lady were the first to introduce the method to Sydenham around 1970 and through a system of trial and error and the study of other builders down through the years we have had boats built by our members using just about every method known. Current build numbers are somewhere in the 30s, some of which have been own designs and some modifications of existing designs.

As a Club we have always been proud of our working class roots and welcome prospective new members who wish to pursue their dreams of building from scratch or renovating existing hulls, be they Ferro, Wood, Steel or GRP. We are now more associated with 'traditional' type boats and building rather than the modern GRP types, although we have members also experienced in this type of construction.

East Belfast Yacht Club, Sydenham By-Pass, Belfast, Co. Down BT3 9HR. Tel: 028 90 812658/077 597 81281

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

Down Cruising Club

Down Cruising Club is a small, friendly club of approximately 100 members, who are interested in all aspects of boating and cruising on Strangford Lough. The club is fortunate to be based at Ballydorn, on Strangford Lough, and to enjoy the unique facility of club headquarters in the form of the lightship "Petrel". A short history of the club and of the Lightship can be accessed. In addition the club enjoys the facility of Ballydorn Quay, constructed in the mid 19th century, and its associated historic quayside store, the 'Black Shed'.

Club members participate in a wide range of social events on board "Petrel", and water-based activities, including cruises both within and beyond Strangford Lough. An important feature of membership of the club is maintenance of the lightship itself, through regular work parties. The general ethos of 'hands-on' involvement transfers to all activities, and to regular duties in assisting the club's bar.

Down Cruising Club, c/o Clubship Petrel, 52 Ballydorn Road, Killinchy, Newtownards BT23 6QB. Tel: +4428 9754 1663

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

East Antrim Boat Club

Located on the edge of Larne Lough in East Antrim Northern Ireland, we believe our club to be situated on some of the best sailing waters in the UK.

With members of all ages and ambitions, we have a healthy mix from cruising yachts through to competitive dinghies. 

The focus of our sailing is on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and weekends throughout the season. 

East Antrim Boat Club, Curran Point, Larne, Co. Antrim BT40 1AU, N. Ireland

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

Donaghadee Sailing Club

Donaghadee Sailing Club is located in the seaside town of Donaghadee on the east coast of Northern Ireland. Donaghadee comes from the Irish - Domhnach Daoi meaning 'Daoi’s Church'. Donaghadee has a long history with many of it's prominent features dating back as far as Norman times. For a long time the harbour has been the hub of the town and the history of the harbour goes back as far as the 17th century. The modern harbour was constructed in 1821 and has been a haven for local fishermen, sailors and visitors alike. The harbour also acted as a ferrying point between Northern Ireland and the Scottish village of Portpatrick on the Galloway coast.

Donaghadee Sailing Club was formed in 1970 to provide facilities for the local sailing community. The sailing club is housed at 20 Shore Street, on the seafront overlooking the harbour and bay. Donaghadee Sailing Club has gained in popularity over the years and now boasts a strong membership with members of all ages. The sailing club provides sailing opportunities to its members and has developed an extensive training programme, teaching people of varying abilities and all ages to sail. Through the running of this successful training programme we have achieved the status of being an RYA recognised training centre. Furthermore, DSC has achieved RYA championship club status and is also recognised as an RYA Sailability centre. With all this activity and increasing numbers over the years we had out-grown our premises and facilities and with a lot of hard work by our dedicated club members starting in 2005 the club commenced redevelopment plans and subsequently was successful in receiving substantial funding from Sport NI. We have also received funding from other bodies, local businesses, members of the local community and of course our own club members. Construction of the new DSC clubhouse began in October 2008 and completion will be in April 2009.

The new clubhouse has been designed with training in mind and has impressive facilities for the benfit of all.

Wet/Dry training rooms
Large changing facilities including Adult/Junior/Disabled areas
Large multi-function room incorporating bar and catering facilities, with stunning sea views
Multi-function training room with large projection screen
Visitor changing/showering facilities
 
Donaghadee Sailing Club, 20 Shore Street Donaghadee, Co. Down BT21 0D, N. Ireland. Tel: 02891 884270
 
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

 

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

Courtown Sailing Club

cul8r_rounding_mark_l.jpg Courtown Sailing Club is a family orientated and vibrant club where new members are always welcome.

Left: 'Cul8r' rounding mark at the Kilmichael Challenge 2009

 

Post: Courtown Sailing Club, c/o Aine Stafford, South Pier, Courtown Harbour, Co. Wexford. Tel: 086 80 66 594. Please only call at reasonable hours!

Junior Organiser: John Timmons
 

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 087 761 4955 between 19:00 and 21:00 weekday evenings and between 12:00 and 18:00 on weekends

(Above information and image courtesy of Courtown Sailing Club)

Courtown Sailing Club, Courtown Harbour, Gorey, Co. Wexford. Website here.

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
17th July 2009

Bray Sailing Club

wickbray2.jpg Bray is a seaside resort a few miles South of Dublin. The sailing club overlooks the harbour, which is at the North end of the promenade.

Left: Wicklow and Bray

We cater for both cruisers and dinghies, with a full program of racing. The tide influences most of our activities, for the harbour dries at low water.

The club is more than a hundred years old, and many former members have earned national and international reputations.

New members are always welcome.

Longitude 53° 12.5' North, Latitude 6° 6.1' West, VHF working channel 11

(Above information and image courtesy of Bray Sailing Club)

 
Bray Sailing Club, The Harbour, Bray, Co Wicklow. Tel: (+353 1) 286 0272

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs
16th July 2009

County Antrim Yacht Club

History

25 October 1902 – Formation of Club at John Wylie’s residence. Present – Robert Todd, William Craig, Robert Auld Snr, Robert Auld Jnr, John Wylie (1st Captain), H.E. Wylie and A. Wylie. Decision taken to form Whitehead Sailing Club. Decided to call a public meeting on Thursday 30th October to draw up rules and appoint Office Bearers – Members to be enrolled.

30 October 1902 – Meeting held in Victoria Café. Object of the Club – To encourage and promote amateur sailing. Half model of the Waverley on display (now mounted on the current fireplace). No entrance fee, but fees due from 1/1/1903 – 10 shillings
John Wylie - Captain (designed the Waverley); Robert G Todd – Second Officer (presented the Todd Cup). Decision taken to use the amended RNIYC rules

21 November 1902 – First General Meeting to discuss and sanction rules. Burgee to be Red with a White W (copy currently on display in the General Room)

April 1903 – First Sailing Committee formed. Starting House situated to the West of the Cable House (cable ran from Whitehead to Portpatrick – removed in 1951)

16 May 1903 – First Club House opened. Waverleys to sail at 7pm on Wednesdays and 3.30pm on Saturdays

June 1903 – Concerts to be held in July and August to raise funds for the Club
First Regatta held 22 August 1903

August 1903 – Auld Challenge Cup sailed for at Whitehead Annual Regatta by Whitehead One Design Class – Boat winning cup twice to become the owner

July 1904 – First Ladies Race for the Duff Challenge Cup presented by James Duff of Blackhead

August 1904 – New class – Insect Class were considered. Annual General Meeting held at Victoria Café due to extra room required. Spring and Autumn AGM’s held

June 1906 – Hailcock Rock – proposal to drill a hole 12 inches deep x  2 1⁄2 inches in diameter to erect a post – this was left to the Property Committee and the cost was not to exceed 10 shillings

July 1906 – Morrow Cup presented for the Insect Class and if won twice to be kept by the boat owner

September 1906 – Proposal for first Club Dance to be held in winter 1906. Dances were held over the years at either Royal Hotel, The Royal George Hotel or The Rhinka

October 1906 – Proposal for Club House to be extended.

18 May 1907 – First Opening Day

5 August 1908 – Proposal to investigate scheme for new Club House

28 August 1908 – Special Meeting to formally go ahead with new Club House

November 1908 – Midland Railway Company agreed to give £50 towards groundwork for new Club House

22 December 1908 – The Club’s first Trustees were officially appointed

21 January 1909 – Architects for new Club House to Gregory & Hall (original drawing on wall beside General Room door). Builders were the Dowther Brothers

6 March 1909 – Cost of building Club House - £415 – Dowther Brothers agreed to give £15 for the old Club House (photograph on General Room wall). Opening Day to be 5 June 1909. Proposal to change name of the Club to County Antrim Yacht Club due to large number of people who were members who also lived in Belfast.

15 March 1909 – Proposal to change the burgee to blue pennant with a yellow Irish/Celtic cross

April 1909 – Fireplaces to cost £13 – Billiard Room (iron) and General Room (wood)

May 1909 – Billiard Table purchased for £75 (including fittings). Cost to furnish the Club House - £65.00

June 1909 – ByeLaws – Club open from 9.am – 11.15 pm except Sunday 12pm–9pm.
A Member shall not introduce the same visitor more than twice in any one year
Ladies only allowed in Club House until 7pm. Billiard Table – tickets had to be purchased from the steward – no-one to get on the table. No card playing on a Sunday

3 June 1909 – Boatman employed for 18 shillings per week. Steward employed for 15 shillings per week with an extra 2 shillings & sixpence for Sundays

9 June 1909 – Paymaster General could not see his way to putting in a letter box as requested by the General Committee. Club fete – different amusements. Mr Bolton – Waxworks and Shadographs; Mr A. Wylie  – Hat-trimming and Box making;  Mr John Hay – ‘Aunt Sally’; Mr Gamble –  Ariel flight;  Mr McCausland – Hobby Horses. Antrim Artillery Band hired for three days for £15.00. Club tents supplied by Tedfords

1918 – R.J. McKeown MP Vice Commodore presented the Billiards Cup (this is currently played for each Christmas and is the longest running trophy in the Club). First won by H. Magill
 
1925 – McCalmont Trophy presented by Col. R.C.A. McCalmont DSO who succeeded his father as Commodore (1913-1924)

1926 – Todd Cup presented for Waverley Class by Robert G Todd who was to be Commodore 1925 – 1938. Yachtmen’s Cup presented by Sailing Members for Mid Week Points Races. Landmen’s Cup presented by Non-Sailing Members for Saturday Points Races (At this time the Ulster G P for motor bikes could not be held at the same time as the Whitehead Regatta)

June 1928 – Decided to hold a dance on Regatta Day in the evening and that an orchestra to be engaged for this purpose
 
February 1930 – The sleepers at the top of the slipway were having to be constantly replaced
 
April 1934 – Fees – Senior Members £1-11-6; Lady Members £0-5-0

June 1936 – Mr James Glover (Captain) indicated his intention to present a perpetual Rose Bowl for the Ladies Race – to be known as Empire Furnishing Company Rose Bowl

June 1937 – Boatman’s wages increased to £2 per week

1944 – Sailing Committee requisites £5.00 purchase of material and gear required for launching of yachts. One bottle of whiskey only to be issued from the bar for consumption nightly

March 1945 – Caretaker/Steward appointed at 30 shillings per week. £350 to pay for slip – Wm. Logan & Sons Ltd

August 1945 – No Member of the Club is to receive more than 1 glass of whiskey between 9pm–10pm, after 10pm the whiskey to be given out until it is finished. Permission given to purchase 1 dozen whiskey glasses

November 1945 – No visitors entitled to play in the card games

12 April 1946 – James Magee proposed as a new Member

May 1946 – Sea Hawks admitted to the Club as a Class

June 1946 – Advert for the Club Punt in Belfast Telegraph – under £20.00
 
November 1946 – Purchase of 4 bats and 1 dozen balls for new diversion for the Ladies  -  Table Tennis

April 1949 – Public phone discussed, but deemed to be unwanted at this time

29 May 1950 – Special Meeting held due to loss of ‘Fair Maid’ and crew. Sailing and social activities cancelled for 1 week.

1952 – John Wylie – founder Member died

July 1952 – Admiralty Chart of Belfast Lough displayed. Snooker Table recovered, re-cushioned and new pockets £64-19-6; 6d per person per 1⁄2 hour

October 1952 – Hugh Kennedy purchased plans of GP 14 Class

July 1953 – Prompt closing of the bar at 11.30pm was emphasized while all singing and noise was to be stopped at midnight

April 1954 – Upper part of slip completed in concrete - £130

1955 – Calwell Cup presented for GP 14 Class

1956 – Auld Cup presented for Juniors

1959 – Beach Road premises acquired, £300 to extend slip – shelved

1960 – Plans to fix balcony at a cost of £2346.00

October 1961 – Gates acquired for Beach Road - £15; Fencing acquired for Beach Road - £15

April 1963 – Royalty of 2 guineas to CAYC for plans of the Waverley

15 August 1963 – Sara Annett joined the Club

September 1963 – Wooden steps at side of Club House replaced by concrete at a cost of £150.00

October 1963 – First Junior Committee to be formed

November 1963 – Table Tennis Table made for £5-12-6

December 1963 – 1914-18 War Memorial Plaque moved to left hand side of fireplace; 1939-45 War Memorial Plaque (new) moved to right hand side of the fireplace. Presented by Mr John McKendry. Wood carving presented by Mr John Henshaw

February 1964 – McCalmont Trophy was deemed to be irreplaceable. No valuation could be given and decision taken to keep it in the Bank all year round except for Captain’s Night. (The trophy has now been valued at approx. £25,000)

April 1964 – Rails on slip to cost £39

May 1964 – Waterproof cover for the snooker table cost £9-10-0

September 1964 – Framing of architects’ original drawing completed

May 1965 – Installation of pay phone

March 1966 – First Aid kit purchased

February 1970 – Moveable bar purchased for £90.00 (still used every Regatta Day as an outside bar facility)

January 1972 – Request made for Double Diamond draught beer at bar was made although there was some opposition from the Guinness drinkers

April 1972 – Klaxon horn presented to Club by Mr Gerry Easton (still used for Points Racing)

August 1972 – First inflatable Rescue Boat purchased; New slip completed

September 1972 – Workman Trophy presented to the Club by J R Workman from RNIYC for the Lake Class which were now being sailed at CAYC

May 1973 – Electric winch finally in position

June 1973 – George Thomas joined the Club

September 1973 – Cable Hut sold to the Club for £500

May 1974 – Purchase of 4 Olympic Marks £21.92 each with the moorings extra

June 1974 – Proposal that a Commodore’s Board be put in place pending verification of valid information. (This was subsequently completed in January 1991)

January 1975 – Increase in membership subscription to £7.50 for Ordinary Members

August 1975  – Proposal for snooker team to join the Larne & District Snooker League

June 1976 – Proposal for building changing rooms passed.

October 1976 – Proposal to purchase Dory for £1340 + Vat @ 12 1⁄2 % less 12 1⁄2% discount including engine

November 1976 – First Gaming Machine installed

June 1978 – Glass washer purchased for the bar

October 1978 – Harry McKee joined the Club

February 1980 – Neville Hack Trophy presented to the Club by Mrs Hack

August 1980 – Laser Rose Bowl presented to Irish Laser Association (Ulster Branch)

July 1982 – Consideration for extension of bar area

March 1983 – Purchase of new Rescue Boat - £900 to fix old one. Cost of Sea Rider £1500

May 1984 – Harry McKee to arrange for extension of bar store

July 1984 – D J Elwood joined the Club

September 1985 – New cash register - £550 less allowance for old register of £50.00

January 1987 – Letter received from D J Elwood re. Break in to the Club. Lost all his tapes – Committee decided that he should be totally reimbursed.

August 1988 – Successful European Scorpion Championships held at the Club

October 1988 – General Room finally refurbished

January 1989 – Voluntary bar staff took control of bar for a period of 1 year to improve financial position of the Club

April 1989 – Six ‘Optimists’ were purchased via a Sports Council grant. These small craft have been a tremendous success in encouraging young sailors in the Club to ‘have a go’. The Optimist Class are single handers ideal for juniors in the 5-15 year old bracket though in reality most move into the Mirror or Topper Classes by the age of 12/13.

August 1990 – John Lewis and Roger Kernaghan sailing Roobarb won the Irish Scorpion Championships after an intensive two year campaign. A major accolade for the Club.

1991 – Club receives Royal Patronage: HRH Duke of York

May 1991 – The Flying Fifteen Class began to develop when Sheela Lewis purchased Charley Brown. This was subsequently followed by Jim Rankin in ‘Blue Moon and Shane Haveron in Bonnie. Laser class consists of at least 20 boats.

June 1991 – A very successful Ulster Laser Championship attracted 70 boats and this was sponsored by Northern Bank. Brian Erskine, North East Regional Manager at the time and former Club member, presented the prizes and recollected some memorable times at the Club re-establishing many old friendships.

July 1993 – The Club hosted the Ulster Laser Championships which had an entry of 94 boats. This stands as a record for any provincial championship ever held for the Laser Class in Ireland.

August 1993 – The Flying 15 fleet had increased to six and was continuing to attract new interest. The RYA courses continue to be successful with growing numbers of Juniors.

June 1994 – The Topper Class began to develop with five boats actively racing and attending regattas. Junior members have included Chris Moore, Sarah Moore, Graeme McKenzie, Deborah-Ann Perry and Patrick Smyth. The juniors are seen as the life blood of the Club in the years ahead.

July 1995 – The Commodore, Mr Harry Carse and three guests are invited to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace.

June 1996 – Fourteen Flying 15s were registered at the Club. The sight of many masts in the bay and a huge turnout during points racing on Monday and Wednesday nights was very encouraging. Peter Waugh, Des McKendry, Tim Taylor, and Stephen Canning in addition to those mentioned above have had extremely close racing in this very competitive class. In order to keep costs under control and provide fair sailing only old boats under sail number 2660 are allowed to compete.

July 1996 – A number of the juniors entered the Irish Topper Championships with a reasonable degree of success.

August 1996 – Many of the senior members with young families are clearly determined to provide boats for their children to encompass the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) training courses which have been held at the Club during the last 4/5 years. This commitment will ensure the survival of CAYC. The Club is now a recognised training centre under the RYA scheme.

February 2000 – Keith Black ends his two years as Commodore, one of the longest standing members to have sat on Committee. (One short break off Committee and he is still doing it... Bar Convener 2000 and in 2001 Sailing Secretary). Sheela Lewis is voted onto Committee as First ‘Madam’ Commodore

April 2000 – ‘New Slip’ has major renovation work carried out, £12,000. Club members are levied and many offer an additional donation. Also £1,000 donation received from a "Business contact" No loan was required.

July and August 2001 – Record number of RYA courses run at the Club. Another successful Raft Race, £1000 donated to the RNLI

March 2002 – Snooker Team win 3rd Division Larne & District League

August 2002 – Centenary Regatta, well attended approx 70 yachts. A beautiful morning of sailing, followed by a fog bound afternoon with racing abandoned. Fortunately there were results from the first round of all classes participating.

October 2002 – Centenary Formal Dinner Dance. Quality Hotel, Carrickfergus : 25th October 2002 the  Club is 100 years old to the Day!

Country Antrim Yacht Club, Whitehead, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. Established 1902. Patron: HRH Duke of York

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved

Published in Clubs

History

The club, founded in 1960 by a small group of people with an interest in boats, provides a service to people boating, with changing and toilet facilities, a secure boat storage park, social areas and a bar, also by organising events based in the club and on the water.

The club draws support from all sides of the political divide, from all socio-economic levels (we pride ourselves in providing training and boats for young people who would otherwise been unable to participate). We have active disabled sailors and women are active equal members. The club has links with other clubs in Northern Ireland, Scotland and in the South of Ireland.

v

CSBC’s main activity is sailing. The club organises races for both cruising yachts and sailing dinghies, adults and juniors, assists in the organisation of cruises in company, holds events with other sailing clubs and plays host to class provincial and national championships.

The club’s own Sailing School provides a wide and extensive range of training for young and old, beginner and expert, with courses running from Easter to Halloween. Emphasis is with Junior and Youth sailors from the introduction of the sport to young people, to the preparation of sailors for provincial, national and international competition. Over the past few years the club has benefitted from several grants from the Foundation of Sports and the Arts and National Lottery Sports Fund through the RYA and the Northern Ireland Sports Council, all for the promotion and development of junior and youth sailing. These grants provided both training and support facilities and boats.

nv

An elite squad of juniors was formed in 1996 and are provided with training, coaching, and support. The squad focus is on the Topper and Laser sailing dinghies as recommended by the RYA. Since 1998 sailors from the club have competed at provincial and national Topper and Laser class competitions as well as other open events. Club sailors proved to be very successful, winning the Northern Ireland Youth Championships, the Irish Topper championship and Irish team titles. In line with the development strategy the club, sent a squad to the World Championship, held at Carnac, France. Sailors have been selected for the RYA / NIC Youth Development squad every year since, joining Northern Ireland teams for the Nations Cup and Laser Youth World event. In 2001 a girl was selected to represent Ireland at the European Youth Olympic event.

CSBC specialised in holding junior competitions, having held Optimist and Topper regional championships in 1998 hosted the Irish Topper Championships and in 2000 the Skydome Topper World Championships.

Other classes of boats sail at the club, there is a very active adult laser class and a large flying fifteen fleet, there are also classes of pico, buzz and recently laser 2000 dinghies.

In addition to sailing activities the club has also active sections in rowing, sea angling and motorboating while keeping up an active social programme. This diversity into other aspects of water sports and social events has proved a great strength and has helped position the club within the local community. The club plays an active role in community affairs and takes part in events such as the ‘Heart of the Glens’ Festival. The clubhouse also hosts social functions such as weddings.

Clubhouse

CSBC has a new clubhouse, completed in 1997 and opened with special guest Tony Bulimore. The clubhouse was completely rebuilt with the help of grants from the Foundation of Sports and the Arts and National Lottery Sports Fund. The design is to the highest standards of modern sports clubs, incorporating, fitness and training areas, large changing and toilet facilities, a junior members room, a high quality commercial kitchen and comfortable social area. Outside there is a large patio and lawn with excellent barbeque facilities.

CSBC has approximately 300 members, some from the Cushendall area, others from Ballymena and Belfast.

The club is situated just outside Cushendall village on the Coast Road. The site is shared with the Red Bay, RNLI station and the Moyle District Council Caravan Site. The Moyle District Council provide and maintain public toilets, 2 large carparks and the slipway. CSBC clubhouse sits in its own grounds to the side of the RNLI station.

Cushendall Sailing & Boating Club, Coast Road, Cushendall, Co Antrim BT44 0QW, N. Ireland

Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved
 

Published in Clubs
Page 12 of 17

Featured Sailing School

INSS sidebutton

Featured Clubs

dbsc mainbutton
Howth Yacht Club
Kinsale Yacht Club
National Yacht Club
Royal Cork Yacht Club
Royal Irish Yacht club
Royal Saint George Yacht Club

Featured Brokers

mgm sidebutton
bjmarine sidebutton
xyachts sidebutton

Featured Webcams

webcam sidebutton

Featured Associations

ISA sidebutton
ICRA
isora sidebutton

Featured Events

tokyo sidebutton
sovscup sidebutton
vdlr sidebutton

Featured Chandleries

CHMarine Afloat logo
osm sidebutton
viking sidebutton

Featured Sailmakers

northsails sidebutton
uksails sidebutton

Featured Marinas

dlmarina sidebutton

Featured Blogs

W M Nixon - Sailing on Saturday
podcast sidebutton
mansfield sidebutton
BSB sidebutton
sellingboat sidebutton

Please show your support for Afloat by donating