Displaying items by tag: Galway Docks
#NavalService - LÉ George Bernard Shaw, the latest ship to join the ranks of the Irish Navy, will be open for the public to look around next week in Galway Docks.
As the Galway Daily writes, LÉ George Bernard Shaw was brought into Naval Service this year and will have a formal naming ceremony in 2019.
The Offshore Patrol Vessel is the latest of four modern ships delivered to update the Irish Naval Service since 2014.
Free guided tours of the ship will be offered to the public by her crew on Monday, December 31 and Tuesday, January 1 from 2pm to 5pm.
The four ships built for the navy since 2014 are often referred to as the ‘Playwright’ sisters, for more read here.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, Galway County Council granted planning permission for the construction of two blocks by Bonham Dock Limited, which would provide 345 bedrooms as well as space for business start-ups.
But VP Motors argues that the development encroaches on lands already occupied by its business, while the scheme also faces separate objections from An Taisce, and CIE, which owns adjacent rail yards.
Galway Bay FM has more on the story HERE.
North of the city, the body of a 19-year-old man was recovered from the River Corrib near NUI Galway around 2pm.
The move was made a month after five members of the same family, including three children, died after their car slipped into Lough Swilly from the open slipway at Buncrana, Co Donegal on Sunday 20 March.
Galway's docks slipway had been used freely by recreational boaters – but as of last Thursday (21 April) local sailing clubs have been informed that the slipway can only be used with permission.
Access times have also been restricted to 9am-5pm on weekdays and by appointment on Saturdays in what the harbour company says is a move to avoid "risk to life".
But one local user has branded the locking-up of the slipway as "ridiculous" and said "there should have been a more measured response and consultation".
The Connacht Tribune has much more on the story HERE.
The search began in Galway Docks after the man, believed to be in his 30s, was seen entering the water at Wolfe Tone Bridge over the Corrib, but no trace has been found.
A separate search for a person calling for help on the shoreline near Mutton Island has also yielded no results thus far, and it is not yet known if the two events are related.
#RNLI - Galway RNLI joined a major search for a woman believed to have entered the water at Galway Docks in the early hours of yesterday morning (Friday 1 November) that turned out to be a false alarm.
The Irish Coast Guard received a report about the missing woman shortly before 2am and immediately sought the assistance of Galway RNLI volunteer crew who launched the lifeboat from the nearby station within minutes.
Galway Fire Brigade and Mill Street Gardai searched the perimeter of the docks, including the boats and marina, while the Galway lifeboat searched the rest of the Docks.
After some investigation, it was discovered that the person who was reported missing was in fact safe and sound at another location.
Galway RNLI lifeboat operations manager Mike Swan said the search operation was eventually stood down at about 4am.
"While this incident proved to be a false alarm, Galway RNLI is always willing and ready to respond to anyone who is thought to be in danger in the water," said Swan.
"Each time the lifeboat is called out it costs the station up to €4,000. All of our lifeboat crew and land crew are volunteers and we rely solely on fundraising and the generosity of the public to keep the station and service running."
Galway Bay FM reports on Carey's grand statement made at a presentation to city councillors on Monday 9 September.
As reported last week on Afloat.ie, the finalised plans for the multi-million expansion and modernisation of the city's harbour and docks will be lodged with An Bord Pleanala before the end of September after the original deadline was pushed back several months.
That's the message from Galway Harbour Company chief Eamon Bradshaw, as Galway Bay FM reports.
Bradshaw highlighted a 13% rise in traffic figures for the port at a meeting of the harbour's board last week, with big tonnage increases in imports and especially exports, owning to demand for limestone in Scotland and Scandinavia.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie four months ago, plans for the expansion of Galway Harbour were claimed as "99% ready to go" - although the planning application, originally to be submitted in June, is now only expected to be lodged by a revised deadline at the end of this month.
One of the two men on board the vessel alerted rescue services around 2pm after they began taking on water close to Salthill west of the city.
The stricken boat has since been towed back to the city docks.
A member of the public rang the Irish Coastguard to report a person surrounded by water halfway across the causeway at approximately 3.10pm.
The Coastguard tasked Galway RNLI lifeboat, which launched within four minutes from Galway Docks. The lifeboat carried out a search of the area but did not find anyone in the water. The crew were informed a short time later that the person had made it safely ashore and did not require medical attention.
Galway's Lifeboat Operations Manager, Mike Swan, urges people to be careful when walking on or along the shore, as the tide can come in very fast:
"People may be aware of the tides but they are still getting caught out, particularly in Renmore at Ballyloughane Beach".
The volunteer lifeboat crew on this call-out were: Helmsman John Byrne, Martin Oliver and Keith Faller.
Related Safety posts
RNLI Lifeboats in Ireland
Rescue News from RNLI Lifeboats in Ireland
Coast Guard News from Ireland
Water Safety News from Ireland
Marine Casualty Investigation Board News