Allianz and Afloat - Supporting Irish Boating

Ireland's sailing, boating & maritime magazine

Volvo Ocean Race Leg 5 Start Postponement

12th March 2015
Volvo Ocean Race Leg 5 Start Postponement

#vor – Due to Tropical Cyclone Pam, Volvo Ocean Race organisers have decided that the Volvo Ocean 65 boats will not leave Auckland for Itajaí earlier than 14:00 NZ time / 01:00 UTC on Monday March 16.

A final decision will be made and communicated no later than 12:00 NZDT on Friday March 13 (23:00 UTC on Thursday 12 March) on whether the delay will be to 14:00 NZ time on Monday March 16 or later.

The communication will also include Sunday's revised event programme.

The official skippers press conference will be held tomorrow Friday March 13, with the six team skippers in Auckland's Viaduct Events Centre. There will be an opportunity to enquire on the revised Leg 5 start plans tomorrow at 15:00 during the media session with CEO Knut Frostad.

The six-strong fleet was originally set to depart for the 6,776 nautical-mile voyage through the treacherous waters of the Southern Ocean on Sunday March 15.

But with forecasts suggesting that a grade five tropical cyclone could hit the area hard, Race organisers have taken the prudent step of delaying their exit by at least 24 hours.

As a result, the earliest possible restart would take place on Monday March 16 at 1400 local NZ time, although this is yet to be confirmed.

"Safety first," said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad today. "We're making this decision now because we don't know the exact track of this tropical cyclone yet.

"It's unusually big and essentially it's blocking the road for our sailors, so it's prudent seamanship from our side to leave them with options."

The current forecasts suggest that the tropical cyclone, which has already racked up winds of 200km/hr and has been named 'Pam' by experts, could strengthen further as it heads south.

And even if the system misses New Zealand, big swells and rough seas could still cause real problems for the fleet.

"Our biggest concern is the sea state, rather than the wind," continued Frostad. "The boats can handle a lot of wind, but there will be very big waves along the New Zealand coast, with nowhere to hide.

"We are not going to have the boats leaving Auckland before 1400 local time on Monday, but it could also be later. It depends completely on the movement of this tropical cyclone."

The New Zealand Herald In-Port Race Auckland, which begins at 1400 local time on Saturday 14 March, will still go ahead as planned.

Current forecasts predict perfect sailing conditions of 20kts of easterly breeze and warm sunshine to ensure that Saturday's sprint around the bay will be a spectacular event.

Grant Calder, General Manager of the Auckland stopover, said: "Saturday promises to be a great day out, both on the water and in Auckland's viaduct.

"The boats will be racing, and the Race Village will continue to offer a wide-range of free activities for everyone who wants to enjoy the last weekend of the 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race Auckland stopover.

"We have some fantastic live entertainment lined up, including the Black Seeds on Saturday evening."

Despite the delay, a full departure ceremony including a mayoral handover and sailor's parade will go ahead as planned on Sunday.

Race organisers are tracking the cyclone's development and a revised event schedule for Sunday, including confirmation of whether any sailing will take place, will be issued as the situation develops.

The official skippers press conference will be held tomorrow Friday March 13, with the six team skippers in Auckland's ANZ Viaduct Events Centre.

There will be an opportunity to enquire on the revised Leg 5 start plans tomorrow at 15:00 in the ANZ Viaduct Events Centre during the media session with Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad.

Published in Volvo Ocean Race Team

About The Author Team

Email The Author is Ireland's dedicated marine journalism team.

Have you got a story for our reporters? Email us here.

We've got a favour to ask

More people are reading than ever thanks to the power of the internet but we're in stormy seas because advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. Unlike many news sites, we haven’t put up a paywall because we want to keep our marine journalism open. is Ireland's only full–time marine journalism team and it takes time, money and hard work to produce our content.

So you can see why we need to ask for your help.

If everyone chipped in, we can enhance our coverage and our future would be more secure. You can help us through a small donation. Thank you.

Direct Donation to Afloat button

Featured Sailing School

INSS sidebutton

Featured Clubs

dbsc mainbutton
Howth Yacht Club
Kinsale Yacht Club
National Yacht Club
Royal Cork Yacht Club
Royal Irish Yacht club
Royal Saint George Yacht Club

Featured Brokers

leinster sidebutton

Featured Associations

isora sidebutton

Featured Webcams

Featured Events 2021

vdlr21 sidebutton

Featured Sailmakers

northsails sidebutton
uksails sidebutton
quantum sidebutton
watson sidebutton

Featured Chandleries

CHMarine Afloat logo
osm sidebutton

Featured Marinas

dlmarina sidebutton

Featured Blogs

W M Nixon - Sailing on Saturday
podcast sidebutton
mansfield sidebutton
BSB sidebutton
wavelengths sidebutton

Please show your support for Afloat by donating