Displaying items by tag: missing
Coastguard teams went into action last Friday (13 May) when staff at the area's visitor centre noticed a car parked overnight.
It's believed that the missing man is in his 60s, from Dublin and a regular pundit on TV and radio.
In other news, a man was hospitalised on Sunday (May 15) after attempting to swim to Dalkey Island.
As The Irish Times reports, the man in his 40s was recovered from Dalkey Sound by the Dublin Coast Guard and treated for mild hypothermia.
Recording his findings at Douglas Courthouse earlier this month, coroner John Needham said 33-year-old company director Joanna Dabrowska had likely "spent a significant period" of "several weeks" in the Irish Sea before members of the public recovered her body in Douglas Bay on 5 July 2015.
Dabrowska has been renting a flat in Dublin on a career break after a stint in Germany when she was reported missing by her landlord in early June.
"Police enquiries have thrown no light on how, where and when Joanna's body entered the sea but there was no disease and no traumatic injuries to the skull," said Needham, adding that the date of her death would have been some time between 27 May and 25 June 2015.
BBC News has more on the story HERE.
Gardaí have confirmed that the body of soldier Private Ben Garrett (21), who was missing since 31 March, was recovered from Galway Docks on Sunday morning (17 April).
Another body was found in Galway Bay on Saturday morning (16 April) in the search for Anthony Henehan, last seen entering the water at Wolfe Tone Bridge in Galway city on 10 March.
#Diving - The UK Coastguard received a call just after 4.10pm yesterday afternoon (9 April) from a member of public reporting that a diver had not surfaced as expected in Strangford Lough near Ringhaddy, Co Down
Coastguard rescue teams from Portaferry and Bangor, the Portaferry RNLI lifeboat, the PSNI helicopter and the Irish Coast Guard's Rescue 116 helicopter based at Dublin were all sent to the area for the search.
Luckily the diver was found on the shore by local residents shortly after the coastguard were altered.
The Irish Coast Guard helicopter landed, with assistance from the UK Coastguard rescue teams. The diver was checked over by the on-board paramedic and after advice from a specialist doctor the diver was given the all-clear and allowed to make his own way home.
Graham Edgar, senior maritime operations officer with Belfast Coastguard, said: “This is a great outcome for all involved, the other diver’s in the group did exactly the right thing, they called us as soon as they realised he was missing.
"Fortunately the diver was found safe and well. We would urge all divers, as this diver did, to let someone know where they are planning to dive, when they are planning to come back and if possible dive within a group.
"Also keep a close eye on the weather and sea conditions and always dive within your limits."
#Search - The search remains ongoing for a man seen entering the water at Galway's Wolfe Tone Bridge 10 days ago.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, the man in his 30s prompted a widespread search in the city's waters after going missing on the night of Thursday 10 March.
Today (Sunday 20 March) was expected to be significant in the search due to particularly low water levels in the docks and surrounds, according to Galway Bay FM.
And an appeal has gone out for volunteers to assist the new Oranmore-Maree Coastal Search Unit from the shore around Galway Bay from Salthill to Tawin Island.
In other news, the body of a woman was recovered from a car that entered the water in Howth Harbour on Friday morning (18 March). TheJournal.ie has more on the story HERE.
The missing woman was last spotted entering the water from the walkway between O'Brien's Bridge and Newtownsmith, but so far there has been no trace of her whereabouts.
Update: Galway Bay FM now reports that a body as yet unidentified has been recovered from the water in Galway Harbour.
#Missing - A body recovered from the sea near Galway City yesterday is believed to be that of missing student Michael Bulger, as TheJournal.ie reports.
The body was spotted offshore by a search party volunteer near Ardfry Point in Oranmore, south-east of the city on Galway Bay.
The 20-year-old from Clare, a student at NUI Galway, was last seen leaving a bar in the city's Quays district around 1am on Friday 18 December.
Hundreds of volunteers had joined search teams to comb the city and surrounds over the weeks since for any sign of his whereabouts.
TheJournal.ie has more on the story HERE.
The Shannon-based Irish Coast Guard helicopter Rescue 115 rejoined the search this morning, alongside the Naval Service vessel LE Aisling and Valentia RNLI's lifeboat, after standing down last night due to poor visibility and severe weather conditions.
According to The Irish Times, the 46-year-old Spaniard is thought to have fallen overboard from the 38m trawler Peixemar, which fishes out of Castletownbere and was some 64km off the Blaskets when the incident occurred.
The Irish Times has more on the story HERE.
#Missing - The family of a man whose light aircraft is believed ditched in the Irish Sea have said they are "hoping against hope he may be found alive".
BBC News reports that the missing man has been named as Ian Stirling of Douglas on the Isle of Man.
The 73-year-old sparked a major search and rescue operation yesterday morning (Thursday 3 December) when the Rockwell Commander he was piloting disappeared from radar three miles offshore on approach to Blackpool Airport.
Debris and fuel spillage were found off the Lancashire coast before the search was suspended due to failing light, as previously reported on Afloat.ie.
The grim discovery was made yesterday afternoon (Wednesday 28 October) close to where local man Stephen Mungovan is thought to have fallen accidentally from a cliff late on Sunday night.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, the cross-agency response began on Monday just hours after the last known sighting of the 20-year-old at the rear of his coastal home.
In other news, the Irish kayaker whose body was found on the Isle of Wight last month had stab wounds to his neck and wrist, the inquest into his death has heard.
But according to TheJournal.ie, Hampshire Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death of 40-year-old Dr Morgan Savage, originally from Cork, whose remains were found strapped into his canoe on the island's eastern coast on 11 September.
Dr Savage was only officially identified following a weeks-long media appeal by police, after staff at the boat shop where he rented his kayak recalled an Irish accent.