Displaying items by tag: missing
Earlier this evening The Irish Times reported that the 35-year-old man was in a critical condition in Tallaght Hospital after being recovered from the water off Sorrento Terrace.
Lifeboat volunteers with Dun Laoghaire RNLI and the Irish Coast Guard's Dublin-based helicopter Rescue 116 were involved in the search which began around 11am today after the swimmer failed to return to shore.
#News - The body of a Meath teenager who went missing in the early hours of Easter Monday has been found in the River Blackwater, as the Irish Independent reports.
Ricky McDermott, 17, disappeared after a night out in Virginia, Co Cavan on Sunday night.
Following a search launched on Monday morning, The Irish Times reports that a body was recovered from the River Blackwater in Virginia around 5pm yesterday (2 April) by the Boyne Fishermen’s Rescue and Recovery service.
In other news, the man pulled from the water near Portstewart Harbour yesterday has died.
BBC News reports has named the deceased as Stanley Duncan, who was chief executive of the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Northern Ireland.
It's understood that the 57-year-old has been fishing at rocks near the harbour when he fell into the sea by Victoria Terrace.
Tom Ward, 39, was last seen in Galway city centre on 7 February, and was reported missing by his family 10 days later.
Gardaí stepped up their search to the shoreline areas of Galway Bay adjoining the city earlier this week, enlisting Civil Defence volunteers to search as far as Kinvara in the south-east corner of the bay.
#Missing - A body recovered from the sea off north Co Dublin yesterday may be that of a man who went missing from Rush at Christmas.
The Irish Independent reports that a post-mortem is being carried out on the body to confirm if it is that of 24-year-old Paul Byrne, who was last seen in the early hours of Christmas Day.
Fishermen in the Irish Sea made the grim discovery in their nets yesterday and brought the body to Skerries harbour after 8pm.
The Irish Independent has more on the story HERE.
#Coastguard - The Irish Coast Guard's Rescue 115 helicopter was tasked overnight to search for a missing Spanish fisherman who fell overboard from his fishing trawler off the southwest coast in the early hours of this morning.
98FM is reporting the latest news on this incident, saying that the man went into the sea some 25 miles off Mizen Head.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, 65-year-old Ona Unwin left Falmouth in Cornwall on Friday in a yacht purchased just the day before.
She was last reported in Mousehole, near Penzance, on Saturday evening after rounding the bottom of the Cornish coast. Relatives raised the alarm on Sunday after she failed to return home to Bideford in Devon.
Devon and Cornwall Police were with members of Unwin's family yesterday afternoon when air and sea search crews discovered the wreckage near Sennan Cove in Cornwall which is believed to be that of her 31-foot Seagair yacht.
No evidence of a body was seen on board the wreck, and a police spokesman said investigations are ongoing.
Meanwhile, it has emerged that Unwin is thought to have dismissed safety warnings about "treacherous" weather in the region over the weekend when she set out.
"I was amazed when I found out that she had set sail," said Jerry Hobkirk, proprietor of Falmouth Yacht Brokers which sold her the yacht last Thursday. "If I had known, we would have stopped her."
#MISSING DIVER - Teams were still searching yesterday at a wreck site off Cape Clear for a diver missing since Tuesday, according to The Irish Times.
A Defence Forces spokesperson told the paper that a sonar device would be employed to scan the seabed for any sign of 54-year-old Reinhardt Teschke, who failed to resurface from a 90m dive on the wreck of British merchant vessel the Minnehaha.
As previously reported on Afloat.ie, Baltimore RNLI launched both its inshore and all-weather lifeboats to the scene south of Balitmore Harbour in West Cork on Tuesday evening to search for the German diver, one of a party of three at the wreck site.
The 18-year-old from Arklow went missing in the early hours of Sunday 19 August after a night out.
Gardaí and search teams recovered his body from the river near the south quay in Avoca yesterday evening. A post-mortem will be carried out at Loughlinstown Hospital later today.
#MISSING BOATS - The Irish Times reports that the body of a man in his 60s has been recovered from the sea off West Cork in the early hours of this morning.
The body, believed to be that of John O'Leary from Allihies, was found as part of a major search operation after the sailing dinghy carrying the man and his 18-year-old son Christopher overturned off the Beara Peninsula yesterday evening.
According to RTÉ News, the two spent four hours clinging to the boat before swimming towards the shore. Christopher reached land almost 1km away to raise the alarm but his father went missing in the interim.
The boat was discovered around 8pm with no sign of John O'Leary in the vicinity, according to the Irish Independent.
The Irish Coast Guard at Valentia co-ordinated the search operation from 9pm last night, and volunteers with the Castletownbere RNLI lifeboat recovered a body off Cod's Head around 1.30am. A postmortem will be carried out later today at Cork University Hospital.
Meanwhile, the search continues for a missing fishing boat off Co Clare.
The Lady Eileen, with two crew on board, was due to return to Quilty yesterday evening.
Coastguard search teams discovered debris and diesel in the water near Spanish Point before the search was postponed due to low light.
Garda divers have been asked to assist in the search and are due in the area around midday.
#NEWS UPDATE - The body found in a river in the Polish town of Bydgoszcz has been confirmed to be that of missing Irish football fan James Nolan.
As RTÉ News reports, Nolan was last seen in the early hours of Sunday 17 June while socialising with Irish friends at a bar in the town.
It is believed that he fell into the River Brdo at some point while walking back to their hotel. His body was recovered some 200m from his last confirmed sighting.
The Irish Times repeated local media reports that there was no sign of injuries on the body, but the cause of death could not yet be determined, pending the results of a postmortem due to take place yesterday.
Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore has expressed his sympathies to the family of the 21-year-old environmental engineering student from Blessington, Co Wicklow.
He added that the Irish Ambassador to Poland, Eugene Hutchinson, is remaining with the Nolan family in Bydgoszcz.