Displaying items by tag: Lions Maine
The potentially dangerous Lions Mane Jellyfish which is being washed up on Irish beaches can cause anaphylactic shock.
So far this summer the jellyfish has washed up on beaches at Portmarnock, Malahide, Sutton and Bettystown.
The Irish water safety CEO, John Leech, says 'more jellyfish are likely to appear on our beaches in the coming weeks'.
'The sting from these jellyfish can cause anaphylactic shock and we have had a number of people hospitalised as a result of a sting from these venomous Jellyfish', Leech adds.
The sting from their tentacles lasts many days after they have died.
Members of the public should report the sightings of these two jellyfish to the relevant local Authority Water Safety Development Officer here
For those who will be using non-lifeguarded beaches then download information on jellyfish, including a photo ID card and First Aid treatment of stings here