#feva – Ireland's Laura Gilmore and Molly Fekkes from Strangfrod Lough jumped 20 places to 33rd at the 171–boat RS Feva World Championship playing out in the waters off the Compagnia della vela Grosseto until Friday, July 26th.
A very steady 260° wind that started off at 12 knots got up to 16 in the course of the afternoon.
This meant the race committee had no problem starting all three scheduled races with the first off at around 12:30, bringing the qualifying phase of the event to a successful conclusion.
After yesterday being dominated by the British, today was very much the domain of Italian girls Margherita Porro and Francesca Andrea Dall'Ora. The two young Associazione Nautica Sebina sailors ended qualifying at the top of the overall standings on just 8 points thanks to two seconds and a one win. A fantastic result along with a momentous first position in the All Girls standings. On the same points as the Italians but less well-placed than them in the final race were this morning's leaders Brits Elliot Wells and Jake Todd (2,1,2), who finished second in the overall standings ahead of their fellow countrymen Hannah Bristow and Bobby Hewitt (1,1,8), who took the third step on the podium on just 12 points.
From tomorrow, the 171 boats will be divided into three fleets of 57 crews (Gold, Silver and Bronze). Each team will be allotted points equivalent to their final position in qualifying (e.g. 1st position will have 1 point, 2nd 2 points, etc.) which cannot be discarded in the final phases. The first races are scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, July 24th, from 11:55.
Provisional standings* top 5 RS Feva World Championship – After six races
1. ITA 2592 - Margherita Porro/Francesca Andrea Dall'Ora - Associazione Nautica Sebina - 2, 1, (4), 2, 2, 1 - Tot. 8 points
2. GBR 4332 - Elliot Wells/Jake Todd - Hayling Island Sailing Club - 1, (2), 2, 2, 1, 2 - 8 pt
3. GBR 4610 - Hannah Bristow/Bobby Hewitt - Leigh and Lowton - 2, 2, 6, 1, 1, (8) - 12 pt
4. GBR 3424 - Courtney Bilbrough/Orla Mitchell - Docklands S&W Centre - 4, 1, (12), 7, 3, 3 - 18 pt
5. GBR 4883 - Jamie Smith/Piers Nichols - Hayling Island Sailing Club - 5, 5, 6, 3, (9), 2 - 21 pt