#INLAND WATERWAYS - Fingal County Council invites any interested parties to make submissions on the future of the Royal Canal as a Greenway Route in the Fingal area.
The council, in conjunction with the National Transport Authority and Waterways Ireland, has identified the potential to upgrade the canal towpath along the Royal Canal from Ashtown to Westmanstown to a premium quality cycle and pedestrian route.
The feasibility of the Royal Canal for such facilities and as an improved recreational amenity is currently being examined. Among the issues being considered are:
- Feasibility of providing a high quality continuous footpath/cycleway along the towpath
- Potential to provide parallel routes where towpath route not feasible
- Improvements to accessibility issues at interfaces with public roads
- Improved amenity areas (car parking, picnic areas, angling, boating)
- Environmental and heritage issues
- Improved connectivity with local residential areas and adjacent rail and bus services
- Integration with adjacent cycle routes (existing and proposed)
Submissions or observations may be made in writing to Senior Executive Officer, Planning & Strategic Infrastructure Department, Fingal County Council, Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin to arrive no later than 5pm on 25 May 2012 or e-mail to email@example.com.