After three days of severe winds and mighty waves, the Derbigum Dragon Gold Cup Fleet went out early yesterday morning to sail two races. No Irish boats were racing in the 62-boat fleet.
After the first start, the fleet cut in two. The left side went towards the beach, the right side steered deeper into sea. But soon some drizzle limited the visibility, which meant that one more aspect was added to this race: sheer navigation. The right side looked better, where the current was weakening.
Markus Wieser (Bunker Queen - UKR 7) picks up the right wind, steers his dragon the right way between de cross waves and finishes first.
In the second race of this day, the wind veers even more and although the race officers keep adapting the course to the shifts and the weakening wind, the battle in the forefront of the fleet is severe.
The Nations Cup went to Russia.
Top ten final overall results:
1. Bunker Queen, Wieser, UKR, 31 points
2. African Queen, J. Schonherr, DEN, 33
3. Annapurna, A. Loginov, RUS, 34
4. Aimee, G. Bailey, GBR, 43
5. Bunker Prince, Y. Braslavetz, URK, 44
6. Bendira, M. Palsson, SWE, 50
7. Murka 12, M. Muratov, RUS, 50
8. Sunflower, V. Fogelson, RUS, 52
9. TIgger, T. Tavinor, GBR, 54
10. Clairvoyant, E. Sawyer, USA, 55