Sailing ‘Quickstep III’, the Cultra duo took the trophy ahead of clubmates David Eccles and Philip Hutchinson in ‘Inshallah’ while a strong performance from Howth’s Fergus O’Kelly and Jonathan Wormald in ‘Whipper Snapper’ was rewarded with 3rd overall.
In stark contrast to the heavy conditions of the second day, the final race was delayed for over an hour until there was sufficient wind to start. Race Officer Derek Bothwell was later obliged to shorten the race which was won by the eventual series runners-up.
Another RNIYC boat, ‘Born Wild’ (T&J Anderson) was second with O’Kelly/Wormald in third but 5th for ‘Quickstep III’ was more than enough to see Nolan and Patterson deservedly top the series.
Howth’s Jonathan Craig and Hazel Ruane in ‘Kerfuffle’ will be well satisfied with 4th overall, a point ahead of defending champions Peter Wallace and Kerry Boomer in ‘Toy for the boys’ from Cultra.
SIAC Construction Irish Squib Championships at HYC – overall results:
- Quickstep III Ross Nolan/Gordon Patterson - RNIYC 14pts
- Inshallah David Eccles/Philip Hutchinson - RNIYC 19pts
- Whipper Snapper Fergus O’Kelly/Jonathan Wormald - HYC 21pts
- Kerfuffle Jonathan Craig/Hazel Ruane - HYC 26pts
- Toy for the Boys Peter Wallace/Kerry Boomer - RNIYC 27pts
- Sensation Marcus & Meagan Hutchinson - KYC 37pts