As previously reported on Afloat.ie works to repair Bulloch Harbour in Dalkey along south Dublin Bay is focused on a pier damaged by Storm Emma in March of last year, writes Jehan Ashmore.
According to Bullock Harbour Preservation Association the repairs to the pier's outer north-eastern corner which is exposed to the bay is almost complete. The pier leads off from a quay where a controversial mixed development was recently given the go ahead by An Bord Pleanála at the site of the former Western Marine premises.
The Association which liaises with public bodies and other interested parties to ensure the harbour functions and remains a public asset also provided an update concerning the pier's inner south-western corner.
At this section of the pier which had been subsiding since last summer has now been totally dismantled down to the harbour bottom. It is at this level where new concrete foundations have been laid underwater so that the granite blocks can be reset in their original positions. A completion date for this work is not yet known.
The scenic stone-cut harbour built in 1818/19 by the Ballast Board (now Dublin Port Company) still manages the small working harbour which celebrated its Bicentenary last winter. The small harbour is home to inshore fishing boats engaged in crab and lobster, boat moorings, boat rental operations, the Dalkey Sea Scouts, kayakers, sea anglers and for other marine leisure pursuits.
Access for such activity requires roads in the vicinity of Bulloch Harbour which is the responsiblity of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. The local authority is currently inviting the public and interested parties to submit obervations and submissions to the Bulloch and Sandycove Harbours Draft Masterplan as previously included. The neighbouring harbour at Sandycove is located further along the coast to the north in Scotsman's Bay.
For further details on the Masterplan click here noting the closing date for submissions is Monday, 19th August.