Irish Sailing has announced its new ‘Take the Helm’ programme for female sailors aged 16+ which is supported by Sport Ireland’s Women in Sport Programme, the campaign to increase female participation and progression in sport.
Take the Helm will provide training, competition and infrastructure opportunities to encourage and enable women to take the helm in a variety of areas:
- A flexible training fund for women providing bursaries for a choice of training to encourage regional programmes, develop participation and increase roles of leadership.
- Race official development for women to Take the Helm in the many roles involved in race management and support.
- Irish Sailing’s Pathfinder Women at the Helm will continue to support and highlight women’s sailing, encourage competition, retain young sailors and entice returning sailors.
- Promotion of participation: showcasing role models of all levels through storytelling, photography and videography.
The flexible training fund for women provides 24 bursaries of up to €400 each available on a first come, first served basis for all Irish Sailing clubs, classes and centres.
This bursary can be used to fund fully or partially any of the following for women aged 16 and over:
- The provision of an Irish Sailing certified women’s racing coaching programme, national powerboat training course and safety boat training course.
- The attendance of female instructors on the Irish Sailing courses for Senior Instructor; Advanced Sailing Instructor; Windsurfing Go With Style and/or Go Foil Instructor; and Powerboat and/or Safety Boat Instructor.