Harry Hermon, Irish Sailing Chief Executive, has published the "Return to Sailing” Scheme today (May 12 2020). The PDF document is downloadable below.
The CEO says:
The Phase 1 Guidelines from the “Return to Sailing” Scheme are designed to support clubs, centres and members to put measures in place that will allow the safe return to our sports on a gradual basis, subject to the lifting of the Coastguard’s current advisory notice.
The Return to Sailing Scheme Phase 1 includes three sections:
1. 4 x fundamental principles that will affect the decision to go afloat:
- Compliance with current COVID 19 restrictions
- Personal responsibility – for your own safety and compliance
- Self-help - alternative means of safely returning to shore
- Risk Assessment – assisting the decision-making process
2. Guidelines for a safe return to our sports in Phase 1 (starting on 18 May)
3. A Risk Assessment template for organisations.
Other supports will be published soon, including a FAQ section on our website, and a “Safety Testing” document which will give more practical tips on safely returning to your boat.
The government also published their own Return to Work protocol which we will be referencing https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Publications/Return-to-Work-Safely-Protocol.html
We continue to work with Sport Ireland on guidelines for Phase 2 and beyond, with the hope that travel restrictions may be reviewed, and multi-household groups be allowed to convene.
In the meantime, by working together and using these Phase 1 principles and guidelines sensibly and responsibly, we can make sure that our return to the water is safe for all.
Harry Hermon, CEO, Irish Sailing