#OPTIWORLDS– Sophie Browne – Sailing
• Sails from Tralee Bay Sailing Club and Royal Cork Yacht Club.
• Started sailing at 5 years of age.
• Sailing on the Optimist circuit in Ireland for a number of years.
• Has sailed a full winter training programme as well as all of the regional events in Ireland, the British National Championships and the Irish National Championships for the past few years. Travels approximately 2 hours to the Royal Cork Yacht Club on a regular basis for coaching and training for different events.
• Has been working very hard at her sailing programme with her coaches over the past couple of years and has been selected for the Irish Sailing Association National Optimist Squad 2009/10 and 2010/2011.
• Winter Training & ISA Optimist Programme 2010 / 2011 - Fastnet Marine Outdoor Education Centre, Schull in West Cork.
• Has participated at the Irish National Championships seven times.
• Has participated at the British National Championships for four years, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010.
• Reprensented Ireland at European Championships 2010 Poland, which placed Sophie in the top third of the fleet.
• Irish Team - the European Team Racing Championships at Lake Ledro in Italy in August 2010 placed 6th overall.
• Placed 1st Junior Irish girl and 8th overall at the Irish National Championships 2009.
• Placed 1st Senior girl and 8th overall at the Irish National Championships 2010.
• ISA National Squad 2009/10 & ISA National Squad 2010/11.
• Winner Team (Denmark) 2010/2011
• ZHIK Ascender Team 2010/2011.
• In 2011 Sophie is ranked 1st Senior Optimist sailor in Ireland.
• Placed 1st at the Irish Optimist Team Trials to select Irish Team to represent Ireland at the World Championships 2011 at Napier, New Zealand.
• Placed 1st at the Connacht Championships 2011.
• Placed 1st at the Munster Championships 2011.
• Placed 5th at the Ulster Championships 2011.
• Placed 14th at the Leinster Championships 2011.
• Placed 1st Senior girl and 2nd overall at the Irish National Championships 2011 (9 top ten results in 12 races).
• Placed 1st Senior girl and 7th overall out of 450 boats at the French Open National Championships, Coupe International d'Ete Optimist 2011, Plerin, France.
• ISA Junior & Girls All Ireland Sailing Championships 2011 invitee.
• Participated German National Optimist Championships 2011, Kiel, Germany August 2011. Placed 56 overall out of 500 boats, with 5 top ten results out of 9 races.
• Represented Team Ireland at Major International Regattas with between 500- 1000 of the top sailors from all over Europe competing such as :
Regatta Ciutat de Palma 2009.
Regatta Ciutat de Palma 2010.
Regatta Ciutat de Palma 2011. 4th overall -6 top ten results in 9 races.
Lake Garda Meeting, Italy, Easter 2009.
International Regatta Club Nautico de Vigo 2009
Easter Regatta at Braassemermeer, Holland 2010.
Lake Garda Meeting, Italy, Easter 2011.
Monaco Optimist Team Racing 2010.
Monaco Optimist Team Racing 2011 – Bronze medal.
International Pre- Worlds Clinic, Lanzarote 2011.
Sophie is now planning her sailing programme for the remainder of the Season 2011, which will include a coaching and training programme and travel to a number of International events Regatta Ciutat de Palma 2011 & International Pre- Worlds Clinic, Lanzarote 2011 leading up to her participation in the World Championships 2011 at Napier, New Zealand.