25 October 1902 – Formation of Club at John Wylie’s residence. Present – Robert Todd, William Craig, Robert Auld Snr, Robert Auld Jnr, John Wylie (1st Captain), H.E. Wylie and A. Wylie. Decision taken to form Whitehead Sailing Club. Decided to call a public meeting on Thursday 30th October to draw up rules and appoint Office Bearers – Members to be enrolled.
30 October 1902 – Meeting held in Victoria Café. Object of the Club – To encourage and promote amateur sailing. Half model of the Waverley on display (now mounted on the current fireplace). No entrance fee, but fees due from 1/1/1903 – 10 shillings
John Wylie - Captain (designed the Waverley); Robert G Todd – Second Officer (presented the Todd Cup). Decision taken to use the amended RNIYC rules
21 November 1902 – First General Meeting to discuss and sanction rules. Burgee to be Red with a White W (copy currently on display in the General Room)
April 1903 – First Sailing Committee formed. Starting House situated to the West of the Cable House (cable ran from Whitehead to Portpatrick – removed in 1951)
16 May 1903 – First Club House opened. Waverleys to sail at 7pm on Wednesdays and 3.30pm on Saturdays
June 1903 – Concerts to be held in July and August to raise funds for the Club
First Regatta held 22 August 1903
August 1903 – Auld Challenge Cup sailed for at Whitehead Annual Regatta by Whitehead One Design Class – Boat winning cup twice to become the owner
July 1904 – First Ladies Race for the Duff Challenge Cup presented by James Duff of Blackhead
August 1904 – New class – Insect Class were considered. Annual General Meeting held at Victoria Café due to extra room required. Spring and Autumn AGM’s held
June 1906 – Hailcock Rock – proposal to drill a hole 12 inches deep x 2 1⁄2 inches in diameter to erect a post – this was left to the Property Committee and the cost was not to exceed 10 shillings
July 1906 – Morrow Cup presented for the Insect Class and if won twice to be kept by the boat owner
September 1906 – Proposal for first Club Dance to be held in winter 1906. Dances were held over the years at either Royal Hotel, The Royal George Hotel or The Rhinka
October 1906 – Proposal for Club House to be extended.
18 May 1907 – First Opening Day
5 August 1908 – Proposal to investigate scheme for new Club House
28 August 1908 – Special Meeting to formally go ahead with new Club House
November 1908 – Midland Railway Company agreed to give £50 towards groundwork for new Club House
22 December 1908 – The Club’s first Trustees were officially appointed
21 January 1909 – Architects for new Club House to Gregory & Hall (original drawing on wall beside General Room door). Builders were the Dowther Brothers
6 March 1909 – Cost of building Club House - £415 – Dowther Brothers agreed to give £15 for the old Club House (photograph on General Room wall). Opening Day to be 5 June 1909. Proposal to change name of the Club to County Antrim Yacht Club due to large number of people who were members who also lived in Belfast.
15 March 1909 – Proposal to change the burgee to blue pennant with a yellow Irish/Celtic cross
April 1909 – Fireplaces to cost £13 – Billiard Room (iron) and General Room (wood)
May 1909 – Billiard Table purchased for £75 (including fittings). Cost to furnish the Club House - £65.00
June 1909 – ByeLaws – Club open from 9.am – 11.15 pm except Sunday 12pm–9pm.
A Member shall not introduce the same visitor more than twice in any one year
Ladies only allowed in Club House until 7pm. Billiard Table – tickets had to be purchased from the steward – no-one to get on the table. No card playing on a Sunday
3 June 1909 – Boatman employed for 18 shillings per week. Steward employed for 15 shillings per week with an extra 2 shillings & sixpence for Sundays
9 June 1909 – Paymaster General could not see his way to putting in a letter box as requested by the General Committee. Club fete – different amusements. Mr Bolton – Waxworks and Shadographs; Mr A. Wylie – Hat-trimming and Box making; Mr John Hay – ‘Aunt Sally’; Mr Gamble – Ariel flight; Mr McCausland – Hobby Horses. Antrim Artillery Band hired for three days for £15.00. Club tents supplied by Tedfords
1918 – R.J. McKeown MP Vice Commodore presented the Billiards Cup (this is currently played for each Christmas and is the longest running trophy in the Club). First won by H. Magill
1925 – McCalmont Trophy presented by Col. R.C.A. McCalmont DSO who succeeded his father as Commodore (1913-1924)
1926 – Todd Cup presented for Waverley Class by Robert G Todd who was to be Commodore 1925 – 1938. Yachtmen’s Cup presented by Sailing Members for Mid Week Points Races. Landmen’s Cup presented by Non-Sailing Members for Saturday Points Races (At this time the Ulster G P for motor bikes could not be held at the same time as the Whitehead Regatta)
June 1928 – Decided to hold a dance on Regatta Day in the evening and that an orchestra to be engaged for this purpose
February 1930 – The sleepers at the top of the slipway were having to be constantly replaced
April 1934 – Fees – Senior Members £1-11-6; Lady Members £0-5-0
June 1936 – Mr James Glover (Captain) indicated his intention to present a perpetual Rose Bowl for the Ladies Race – to be known as Empire Furnishing Company Rose Bowl
June 1937 – Boatman’s wages increased to £2 per week
1944 – Sailing Committee requisites £5.00 purchase of material and gear required for launching of yachts. One bottle of whiskey only to be issued from the bar for consumption nightly
March 1945 – Caretaker/Steward appointed at 30 shillings per week. £350 to pay for slip – Wm. Logan & Sons Ltd
August 1945 – No Member of the Club is to receive more than 1 glass of whiskey between 9pm–10pm, after 10pm the whiskey to be given out until it is finished. Permission given to purchase 1 dozen whiskey glasses
November 1945 – No visitors entitled to play in the card games
12 April 1946 – James Magee proposed as a new Member
May 1946 – Sea Hawks admitted to the Club as a Class
June 1946 – Advert for the Club Punt in Belfast Telegraph – under £20.00
November 1946 – Purchase of 4 bats and 1 dozen balls for new diversion for the Ladies - Table Tennis
April 1949 – Public phone discussed, but deemed to be unwanted at this time
29 May 1950 – Special Meeting held due to loss of ‘Fair Maid’ and crew. Sailing and social activities cancelled for 1 week.
1952 – John Wylie – founder Member died
July 1952 – Admiralty Chart of Belfast Lough displayed. Snooker Table recovered, re-cushioned and new pockets £64-19-6; 6d per person per 1⁄2 hour
October 1952 – Hugh Kennedy purchased plans of GP 14 Class
July 1953 – Prompt closing of the bar at 11.30pm was emphasized while all singing and noise was to be stopped at midnight
April 1954 – Upper part of slip completed in concrete - £130
1955 – Calwell Cup presented for GP 14 Class
1956 – Auld Cup presented for Juniors
1959 – Beach Road premises acquired, £300 to extend slip – shelved
1960 – Plans to fix balcony at a cost of £2346.00
October 1961 – Gates acquired for Beach Road - £15; Fencing acquired for Beach Road - £15
April 1963 – Royalty of 2 guineas to CAYC for plans of the Waverley
15 August 1963 – Sara Annett joined the Club
September 1963 – Wooden steps at side of Club House replaced by concrete at a cost of £150.00
October 1963 – First Junior Committee to be formed
November 1963 – Table Tennis Table made for £5-12-6
December 1963 – 1914-18 War Memorial Plaque moved to left hand side of fireplace; 1939-45 War Memorial Plaque (new) moved to right hand side of the fireplace. Presented by Mr John McKendry. Wood carving presented by Mr John Henshaw
February 1964 – McCalmont Trophy was deemed to be irreplaceable. No valuation could be given and decision taken to keep it in the Bank all year round except for Captain’s Night. (The trophy has now been valued at approx. £25,000)
April 1964 – Rails on slip to cost £39
May 1964 – Waterproof cover for the snooker table cost £9-10-0
September 1964 – Framing of architects’ original drawing completed
May 1965 – Installation of pay phone
March 1966 – First Aid kit purchased
February 1970 – Moveable bar purchased for £90.00 (still used every Regatta Day as an outside bar facility)
January 1972 – Request made for Double Diamond draught beer at bar was made although there was some opposition from the Guinness drinkers
April 1972 – Klaxon horn presented to Club by Mr Gerry Easton (still used for Points Racing)
August 1972 – First inflatable Rescue Boat purchased; New slip completed
September 1972 – Workman Trophy presented to the Club by J R Workman from RNIYC for the Lake Class which were now being sailed at CAYC
May 1973 – Electric winch finally in position
June 1973 – George Thomas joined the Club
September 1973 – Cable Hut sold to the Club for £500
May 1974 – Purchase of 4 Olympic Marks £21.92 each with the moorings extra
June 1974 – Proposal that a Commodore’s Board be put in place pending verification of valid information. (This was subsequently completed in January 1991)
January 1975 – Increase in membership subscription to £7.50 for Ordinary Members
August 1975 – Proposal for snooker team to join the Larne & District Snooker League
June 1976 – Proposal for building changing rooms passed.
October 1976 – Proposal to purchase Dory for £1340 + Vat @ 12 1⁄2 % less 12 1⁄2% discount including engine
November 1976 – First Gaming Machine installed
June 1978 – Glass washer purchased for the bar
October 1978 – Harry McKee joined the Club
February 1980 – Neville Hack Trophy presented to the Club by Mrs Hack
August 1980 – Laser Rose Bowl presented to Irish Laser Association (Ulster Branch)
July 1982 – Consideration for extension of bar area
March 1983 – Purchase of new Rescue Boat - £900 to fix old one. Cost of Sea Rider £1500
May 1984 – Harry McKee to arrange for extension of bar store
July 1984 – D J Elwood joined the Club
September 1985 – New cash register - £550 less allowance for old register of £50.00
January 1987 – Letter received from D J Elwood re. Break in to the Club. Lost all his tapes – Committee decided that he should be totally reimbursed.
August 1988 – Successful European Scorpion Championships held at the Club
October 1988 – General Room finally refurbished
January 1989 – Voluntary bar staff took control of bar for a period of 1 year to improve financial position of the Club
April 1989 – Six ‘Optimists’ were purchased via a Sports Council grant. These small craft have been a tremendous success in encouraging young sailors in the Club to ‘have a go’. The Optimist Class are single handers ideal for juniors in the 5-15 year old bracket though in reality most move into the Mirror or Topper Classes by the age of 12/13.
August 1990 – John Lewis and Roger Kernaghan sailing Roobarb won the Irish Scorpion Championships after an intensive two year campaign. A major accolade for the Club.
1991 – Club receives Royal Patronage: HRH Duke of York
May 1991 – The Flying Fifteen Class began to develop when Sheela Lewis purchased Charley Brown. This was subsequently followed by Jim Rankin in ‘Blue Moon and Shane Haveron in Bonnie. Laser class consists of at least 20 boats.
June 1991 – A very successful Ulster Laser Championship attracted 70 boats and this was sponsored by Northern Bank. Brian Erskine, North East Regional Manager at the time and former Club member, presented the prizes and recollected some memorable times at the Club re-establishing many old friendships.
July 1993 – The Club hosted the Ulster Laser Championships which had an entry of 94 boats. This stands as a record for any provincial championship ever held for the Laser Class in Ireland.
August 1993 – The Flying 15 fleet had increased to six and was continuing to attract new interest. The RYA courses continue to be successful with growing numbers of Juniors.
June 1994 – The Topper Class began to develop with five boats actively racing and attending regattas. Junior members have included Chris Moore, Sarah Moore, Graeme McKenzie, Deborah-Ann Perry and Patrick Smyth. The juniors are seen as the life blood of the Club in the years ahead.
July 1995 – The Commodore, Mr Harry Carse and three guests are invited to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace.
June 1996 – Fourteen Flying 15s were registered at the Club. The sight of many masts in the bay and a huge turnout during points racing on Monday and Wednesday nights was very encouraging. Peter Waugh, Des McKendry, Tim Taylor, and Stephen Canning in addition to those mentioned above have had extremely close racing in this very competitive class. In order to keep costs under control and provide fair sailing only old boats under sail number 2660 are allowed to compete.
July 1996 – A number of the juniors entered the Irish Topper Championships with a reasonable degree of success.
August 1996 – Many of the senior members with young families are clearly determined to provide boats for their children to encompass the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) training courses which have been held at the Club during the last 4/5 years. This commitment will ensure the survival of CAYC. The Club is now a recognised training centre under the RYA scheme.
February 2000 – Keith Black ends his two years as Commodore, one of the longest standing members to have sat on Committee. (One short break off Committee and he is still doing it... Bar Convener 2000 and in 2001 Sailing Secretary). Sheela Lewis is voted onto Committee as First ‘Madam’ Commodore
April 2000 – ‘New Slip’ has major renovation work carried out, £12,000. Club members are levied and many offer an additional donation. Also £1,000 donation received from a "Business contact" No loan was required.
July and August 2001 – Record number of RYA courses run at the Club. Another successful Raft Race, £1000 donated to the RNLI
March 2002 – Snooker Team win 3rd Division Larne & District League
August 2002 – Centenary Regatta, well attended approx 70 yachts. A beautiful morning of sailing, followed by a fog bound afternoon with racing abandoned. Fortunately there were results from the first round of all classes participating.
October 2002 – Centenary Formal Dinner Dance. Quality Hotel, Carrickfergus : 25th October 2002 the Club is 100 years old to the Day!
Country Antrim Yacht Club, Whitehead, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. Established 1902. Patron: HRH Duke of York
Have we got your club details? Click here to get involved